Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dealership would not install the armrest

I took my E to the dealership to have the security system installed. I also asked them to install the Driver's Side Armrest with Storage. When I came back in the afternoon for pick-up, I was told that they couldn't install the armrest. I was not really given an explanation.

I think the cooler might in the way but I can't be sure since they didn't even let me see why it can't be installed. I think if the handle of the cooler is in the flat locking position, it would not be in the way but then it cannot be opened either. I might be wrong but i thought I read somewhere that the armrest storage is removable, if it is then I would be still able to open the cooler once parked, I don't know. What I know is that I really want one installed.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Anyone know if the storage armrest works with the 2009 EX?

Will it get in the way of the cooler?
I haven't looked at the '09 interior yet. What I want to do is put the cooler console from the '09 into my '08. I have the driver's armrest storage console, already. I would think it should fit in the '09, as far as the bracket and hardware are concerned. I didn't think about any clearance issues with the cooler, though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes! It can be done!

I just installed the storage armrest in a 2009 EX AT.
It was a very easy and quick install. Just removed the existing armrest and mount, and installed the new mount in the same place. No cutting of fabric required. The storage armrest works perfectly. You can still access and use the cooler if you slide the driver's seat forward and access the cooler from the back seat area. The cooler can still be removed and installed.
What a difference this armrest makes over the skimpy original. I am very glad I went this way. I like my wife's toaster even more now!
And Honda said it couldn't be done! They are missing out on a lot of storage armrest sales by saying it can't be used in an EX. They are wrong.:)
Joe in NH

·
Registered
15 Posts
Storage Armrest in 2009-2010 EX?

I don't even HAVE my E yet... I go visit her at the dealer right now. I'm about 2 weeks away from finishing my Re-Fi and FINALLY getting my E!! Already I'm looking to make mods. The first mod I want to make is the arm rest. Can I add that arm rest/console to the 10 EX? Is it just a simple matter of removing the stock driver side arm rest and replacing it with the bigger one?

Think the dealership would be ok with me starting my mods BEFORE I even pick it up??? :shock: LOL

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Well, sure!... As soon as it's paid for. Honda dealers make half of their profit soaking the new owners for outrageously priced labor charges putting on the (also overpriced) Honda accessories.

Oh wait... You want to do it yourself but while it's still in their hands? .:boat:

·
12,180 Posts
You maybe able to install the armrest....But if i recall it is a tight fit with the cooler in place.

I only had my first E home 10 minutes before i started installing accessories. By the time i bought my second one it took me about 2 weeks to break out the tool box.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, sure!... As soon as it's paid for. Honda dealers make half of their profit soaking the new owners for outrageously priced labor charges putting on the (also overpriced) Honda accessories.

Oh wait... You want to do it yourself but while it's still in their hands? .:boat:
HEHE Yeah I wanna do the work on it myself while I wait the 2 weeks for my check to come in the mail so I can go pay for it!! Think they'll go for it? LOL

You maybe able to install the armrest....But if i recall it is a tight fit with the cooler in place.

I only had my first E home 10 minutes before i started installing accessories. By the time i bought my second one it took me about 2 weeks to break out the tool box.
The armrest is WAY more important to me than the cooler. So the cooler will end up in the attic if that's the case.

·
12,180 Posts
HEHE Yeah I wanna do the work on it myself while I wait the 2 weeks for my check to come in the mail so I can go pay for it!! Think they'll go for it? LOL
They will after your cheque clears and you drive it off the lot....

The armrest is WAY more important to me than the cooler. So the cooler will end up in the attic if that's the case.

Don't let it sit in the attic...Put for sale on the trading post and it will get snapped up in no time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got a brand new one for sale if you want, I wanted the armrest but the wife didn't. Guess who won :twisted:, pm me if your interested. It will definitely be less than going to the dealer, I'll sell it at a loss

·
Registered
282 Posts
I hate the factory location of the armrest. It's too low... I can't even feel it under my arm because I'm too tall haha.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hey buddy...!

Keep us posted on this DIY...! Take pics so that I can consider this... If you could include the part #'s on this, it would be great too... Thanks...!

LBD

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got a brand new one for sale if you want,
Where the heck were you Sat. morning when I ordered one from Handa? :D

After trying a modified cheap aftermarket console and ending up hating it I decided to get the proper Honda armrest (tried on for size in another's E and really liked it, I'm not as tall as another poster apparently :) )

·
Registered
33 Posts
The cooler can go bye bye if that's the ONLY way to fit that large arm rest.
taat2d is right.

I have a 2009 LX, and I ordered the large arm rest. Overall, fairly pleased, but it does not seem to be too sturdy, and it tends to "give" if you put pressure on it.

Anyhow, I finally found a cooler and console (which I didn't need) package on FleaBay. Very, very excited, until I installed the cooler, which is not useable with the large arm rest.

Yes, you can still get the cooler in and out, but it is extremely difficult. Most importantly, though, you can't open the lid on the cooler as there is only about one inch of space until it hits the underneath of the armrest. So, the cooler is not functional when driving.

Very bad design, and very un-Honda like.

·
12,180 Posts
taat2d is right.

I have a 2009 LX, and I ordered the large arm rest. Overall, fairly pleased, but it does not seem to be too sturdy, and it tends to "give" if you put pressure on it.

Anyhow, I finally found a cooler and console (which I didn't need) package on FleaBay. Very, very excited, until I installed the cooler, which is not useable with the large arm rest.

Yes, you can still get the cooler in and out, but it is extremely difficult. Most importantly, though, you can't open the lid on the cooler as there is only about one inch of space until it hits the underneath of the armrest. So, the cooler is not functional when driving.

Very bad design, and very un-Honda like.

If you look at H&A's site it is noted that for 2009+ the storage armrest is listed for LX only. Honda knew it would not be a good fit on the EX and changed the fitment listed. The coller was never intended to work with the storage armrest.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts