Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello E owners,

My 05 E AWD LX auto has been making noises coming from the front of the car that sounds like a bed squeaking.

The car has 86k with rotated newer tires. The rear diff was changed at 60k.

We've gone through 3 sets of front and one set of back brakes. (Thank goodness for 4 wheel disc and auto zone lifetime warranty)

All fluids are right where they need to be, and the E doesn't pull or act funny while driving.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Probably a blown strut. If the fluid leaks out they could squeak.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
If you want reasoned suggestions, give detailed information about the problem.

Does it happen going over bumps? In turns? While turning the wheel at a standstill? While revving the engine in neutral? With the a/c on?

The one clue that MarcoFranssen provided (happens only after startup) might be a slipping serpentine belt, but ... see first sentence above.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Without detail info, my recommandation is sell your old E & get a new 2010 E, than you will have warranty again. ;-)
i dont like the new models 8)

the noice is not an engine or belt problem, bud it's only when the car is moving / bumbs. when i drive over bumbs en bumpy roads. it's like an old bed.
it sqeaks. bud after a minute or 2 it slowly disapears. and it's only when it's cold outside.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Possibly sway bar bushings, sway bar links, strut bearing plates or struts.

Stand beside the left or right front fender, lean on the fender and try to duplicate the noise. If it can be duplicated, try to isolate it better. Have someone else help listen while you move the E up and down.

·
Registered
872 Posts
how do you move the E up and down????with out damageing any thing,I weigh 208 & I cant get it to move more than 1/4 ".

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you have to, pop the hood, get a step ladder and kneel on the radiator support.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Apparently my explanation isn't good enough. But lets try this again...

When you go over bumps there are things called struts that dampen the bumps. Sort of like the springs on a bed. And much like a bed when these struts get old they can make noise. Now sometimes a bed can make squeaks, or creaks, or pops, or clunks. Lo and behold, these things called struts can do the same thing.

Check the damn struts!!

PS: the struts are attached to strut towers which are... inside the engine compartment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Need to replace strut mounts/cushions and struts.

Has anyone ever replaced their strut mounts/cushions? Mine are destroyed. Just wondering if it's really difficult. Also wondering if anyone has bought replacement struts from Monroe-it looks like they don't come with springs.
Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
You re-use the springs when you replace the struts. Unless you buy the quickstruts from honda which are the struts and springs already assembled. But you're talking about twice as much to replace the struts. As for the struts mounts, sorry can't help ya there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts