Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little worried about a problem that doesn't happen all the time, but enough to bother me. Occassionally, while slowly accelerating at slow speeds, there is a...... 'fluttering'.... for lack of a better word. The car kind of shakes a little bit, especially through the gas pedal, and it gets worse if I keep the accelerator where it is. However, if I back off the accelerator and then accelerate again, it usually goes away. This hasn't been a problem so far, but I was wondering if anyone else has felt it or knows what it is or how to fix it. I love my Element more than anything I own, and would hate for it to have a problem. Please help me if you know of anything.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
What you describe could be any of a zillion different things, so, yes, exercise your warranty and have it checked by the dealer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No warranty

The warranty is gone, and the only Honda dealerships in my area are full of moronic mechanics that tell me its just something I'll have to get used to... that they can't really diagnose anything. Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time, so of course it never does it with a mechanic in the car. I don't think it's a serious problem, I just don't really know what to think about it or if I need to worry.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fuel supply

In my experience, what you describe is the result of insufficient fuel flow. The shaking comes about because of misfiring from lack of fuel to the cylinders at the advanced throttle setting. That's why backing-off the throttle stops it. It could also be water in the fuel, since water displaces fuel in the mixture, giving the engine less to burn.

Because it's intermittent, it's probably not a clogged filter. I'd lean more towards water in the fuel or a crimp in a flexible part of the fuel line.

It could also be a failure of the ignition system to advance with the fuel setting, although with electronic ignitions this is much less likely than it used to be.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
It would help if you told us where you are, and what grade of fuel you are using...

I agree that it sounds like a fuel problem, but don't have enough info to make an educated (or not, lol) guess....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fuel Info

All I have ever put through it is Shell fuel, and I live in Western Arkansas. My air filter is, however, filthy, and I am replacing it this week with a K & N replacement. However, this problem started occurring at about 30,000 miles, and I am now up to 60,000, so I am not sure if the air filter was very dirty at that time. Hopefully with the replacement this week (in shipping from Amazon) the problem might be fixed. If not, any suggestions on how to check for fuel problems? Thanks, you guys are awesome. This is my first experience with the forum, and I am very satisfied.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more thing

I meant to add something, to the reply about the ignitiong. Very seldomly I will get in my car, turn the ignition, and absolutely nothing happens. No clicking, nothing. Then I turn to off, and on the second try it starts like there was never a problem. I never considered this to really be a problem, but maybe the two problems are related....?

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Do you have a big wad of keys hanging from your E's ignition key?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope

No, not even close. I have a house key and the keyless entry. Not only that, but that problem with the ignition has been there since I bought the car, I just never thought anything of it because it immediately fixes itself when I turn it off and try again. I doubt this relates, to my original post, honestly, I just thought I would mention it since someone mentioned my ignition earlier.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Don't assume "no relation", nor that the question was preposterous. We have had at least one instance where somebody with a heavy keychain essentially wore-out the ignition tumbler and switch. This resulted in: 1) intermittent "no start" and 2) momentary stumble due to the "pendulum" of the keychain swinging and disconnecting the worn-out switch for a split second, only noticed during acceleration.

Are you the original owner? And the intermittent no-start was since new?

·
Registered
873 Posts
try slightly moving your keys to see if thats the problem,I doubt it but .... try fuel system cleaner (BG,LUCAS) try calling american honda:shock::lol: to see if thereas any thing theycan do since the local dealers havent been able to fix.you never know you might get a former toyota employe that knows what service realy is.but thats not in the real world. so check your battery conections & any other conections that you can think of or find.(dont stick your toung into the wall outlet it wont help your honda.:razz:good luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fuel system cleaner

Are there any negative consequences to fuel system cleaners? I've been discouraged before to use these products when they are not necessary. And also, I didn't just 'assume' the ignition was not related.... I had the ignition problems you are talking about with my old Accord, and I became very familiar with the signs and how to fix them.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
The fuel system cleaners - something like Techron, right? - are fine when used occasionally, meaning every 15-20K or so. It's the "if some is good, more must be great" that gets people into trouble.

If you haven't tried it yet with your stumble problem, it might be a cheap fix if we're looking at lightly-gunked injectors. Try two consecutive fill-ups adding Techron (or whatever) and see if it helps.

·
Registered
428 Posts
All I have ever put through it is Shell fuel, and I live in Western Arkansas. My air filter is, however, filthy, and I am replacing it this week with a K & N replacement. However, this problem started occurring at about 30,000 miles, and I am now up to 60,000, so I am not sure if the air filter was very dirty at that time. Hopefully with the replacement this week (in shipping from Amazon) the problem might be fixed. If not, any suggestions on how to check for fuel problems? Thanks, you guys are awesome. This is my first experience with the forum, and I am very satisfied.
I check my air filter every time I change oil, & replace them if needed. I end up replace 1st filter at around 18K. For 07-10 air filter, it only cost ~$15 from HandA. Just remember for 07-10 air filter, air coming from bottom through filter to top, so one will have to actually take the filter out to exam the bottom side of filter. Top should be always clean if filter is doing it's job.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Air Filter

My filter is filthy, and I am replacing it in two days (in shipping from Amazon) with a K & N air filter, do you have any experience with cleaning these instead of buying a replacement everytime?

I am adding Techron tomorrow, so hopefully the combination of the two will fix my problem. Thanks for all the input. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have not using any other non-Honda paper or oil foam air filter for my E, but I went through couple non-OEM paper or oil foam air filter in the past with my old 4Runner, & I like Amsoil oil foam filter the best. Unfortunately Amsoil no longer make oil foam air filter. Oil foam filter is also pain of a** to wash, re-apply oil, & air-box always become a mess after couple years.

Here is some interesting article (not mine) on Amsoil vs K&N on 4Runner.

When it come to air filter, for me $15 brand new Honda filter is money well spend. I would rather replacement twice as often than non-OEM air filter, which a lot of time cost twice as much then OEM filter.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Chevron Techron

Do you have poor gas mileage? Have you ever run your gas tank very low? Dont do that, because if you got grit on the bottom of your tank, when you run it low, it will suck up from the bottom and run through your line. Yes some times things get past the gas filter.

I have been adding Techron into my Element for a while and always used it in my other vehicles. I use to work for an auto parts store and tried every 'mechanic in a can' type of cleaner over the years. I liked the Techron. It costs more, but try it compared to a fuel injection cleaning service that will be $100 at a gas station.

http://www.amazon.com/Chevron-Techron-Fuel-System-Cleaner/product-reviews/B00092893E

Seeing that you shop on Amazon, I just wanted to add these reviews for you to read.

*One other thing, if this does not turn out to be a dirty gas problem I would be surprised because if it had to do with oxygen flow coming in, I think a sensor (such as O2) would trigger an error code - check engine light. That would be what I would check next.

Im not a mechanic ... just my 2cents.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts