Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My E is making a creek/squeak noise and I have narrowed it down to the top strut mount. Will I need a spring compressor to swap out the top strut mount?

-John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im thinking i might just replace the whole strut and mount at the same time. It doesnt look like Majestic sells the whole strut assembled. Does anyone?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Front or rear? You do not really need a spring compressor. If you are doing front, which I do not foresee creaking, replace the bearing. My rears have been creaking for years.

·
12,179 Posts
front.

so I dont need a spring compressor to swap the mount bearings?
If you are taking a part the strut to replace the bearin the only safe way to do it is using a spring compressor.

There are half assed ways of doing it without a compressor....but they are not recomemmend or safe.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I do not disagree with Lizzurd.

I did not use one when I did mine. I had no issues. All I did was take an impact and loosen the bolt, then used the impact for the last couple of threads and the strut shot forward while I had my foot an the spring. It worked for me but it may not be the safest. Throw a blanket on top of the whole thing and it should not take off too far (not that it did to begin with). Use your best judgment.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts

I did not use one when I did mine. I had no issues. All I did was take an impact and loosen the bolt, then used the impact for the last couple of threads and the strut shot forward while I had my foot an the spring. It worked for me but it may not be the safest. Throw a blanket on top of the whole thing and it should not take off too far (not that it did to begin with). Use your best judgment.
:?
But how did you get it back together?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I had help...

...a spring compressor. No just kidding.

Good question. I changed the struts. So, I did not need one. Never thought about putting stock back on. DUH. That explains why I did not need one. That is why I did not disagree with Lizzurd. He knows more than me.

Good thing that you can rent them from some auto parts stores or get a cheap set from Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts

wow, this was NOT smart, you're lucky the E has pretty soft springs. . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts