Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My wife has 2003 Honda Element. All of her struts are bad, they need to be replaced.

I have only replaced shocks on my Jeep. Is this something that I can do with out spending buttloads?

If so, is Monroe a safe bet on the struts?

what tools do i need?

I am broke youth minister in school. and she is in school.

·
Registered
52 Posts
here is one link for the rear:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58590

I never did the front yet, but as for the back, I got the oem shock absorbers for $50 each at www.hondapartsnow.com and i think the entire assembly there is around $119.

Anyways, doing the back can be done, helps a lot if you have a friend to help.

From the interior of the cabin, you need to remove the panel covers that are under the seats on each side of the back to expose the top bolts you need to get too.

For the rear:
Parts Link:

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/online...sBigPicture=True&pageName=Rear Shock Absorber

**You need an Allen wrench that goes right on top and an open ended wrench (forgot the size) to remove/loosen the very top bolt (part 18 in diagram) of the suspension from the inside of the car, otherwise you may sit there for a while trying to twist it off and realize you aren't getting anywhere. Then, Remove other two bolts (number 17).

As for out side of the car, you have to remove part number 16 from diagram

Part number 16 can be difficult to remove, as well as put back**
having an extra mallet on hand can help, and a friend to push or kick down on the rotor (carefully) may help.

I was able to do this without a spring compressor, but instead I had a friend, and we ingeniously used a jack and a piece of wood to get the new ones back in, worked well if you ask me.

Install is reverse so yea...

By the way, there is a smoke box, I think that is what it is called, that is on the rear driver side, feel free to unbolt it to get more access.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have an 04 with 44,500 miles and one of my rears are leaking.

I found parts for $260 (for all 4)
and a mechanic buddy/acquaintance will install them for $350. I figure I might as well replace them all if I am doing the rears.

It looks like it should take an experienced person 1.5 hours per strut.

·
Registered
52 Posts
With my friend, it took about an hour and half for the entire back, but of course we had done it before on an RSX which was almost exactly the same, front might require more time though.

Did you get all four entire assembly for $260 or just the shocks?, and where from? that's a good deal if it is the entire assembly for all 4.

·
Registered
38 Posts
With my friend, it took about an hour and half for the entire back, but of course we had done it before on an RSX which was almost exactly the same, front might require more time though.

Did you get all four entire assembly for $260 or just the shocks?, and where from? that's a good deal if it is the entire assembly for all 4.
why would you need the entire assembly? do the mounts and springs go bad?

i just bought all 4 shocks for about 260 also(kyb).

·
Registered
52 Posts
why would you need the entire assembly? do the mounts and springs go bad?

i just bought all 4 shocks for about 260 also(kyb).
well, it doesn't hurt to replace the entire assembly, if you get all four for $260 (that's a good deal), but you do not need to do that if the springs and the little rubber parts haven't gone bad.

I guess $260 for just the shocks is decent, a good chunk of that is probably in shipping, because at hondapartsnow.com, its about $50 a shock, and i guess depending on the shipping, it can easily get close to $260

1 - 8 of 8 Posts