Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went over the 100,000 mile mark. The ride is relatively loose and jolting. My mechanic says both front and rear "struts" have to be replaced (approx $1600). I'm not that familiar with the E's underbody, but I thought struts were confined to the front wheels and simple shocks used in back. Can someone set me straight? I'd like to keep the E for another 50K miles or so. Is this reasonable maintenance?
Thanks for any enlightenment.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Much to my dismay the words "strut" and "shock" have come to mean the same thing. Rather like people who refer to tires when they mean wheels.

To be accurate the Element, and just about all other front wheel drive cars in the world, has MacPherson struts in the front and shocks in the rear.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Go to majestic honda on the web and order shock assemblies. These are all the parts and they're ready to bolt on. This advice will be the best foe great ride quality and total satisfaction

·
Registered
29 Posts
fronts are a decent amount of work to replace.You can buy complete assemblies if you want to make it easier. Fronts are $400 in parts. Rears are $240 in parts and arent that hard to replace. If this costs over a grand you are getting ripped off.

·
Registered
244 Posts
1600 seems high, but 100k on struts is a fair life. Majestic has great prices as posted above, and it is well worth doing. did the 1600 include an alignment?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Much to my dismay the words "strut" and "shock" have come to mean the same thing. Rather like people who refer to tires when they mean wheels.

To be accurate the Element, and just about all other front wheel drive cars in the world, has MacPherson struts in the front and shocks in the rear.
Maybe for posterity, someone should post a clear and concise explanation of the difference between a strut and a shock.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Maybe for posterity, someone should post a clear and concise explanation of the difference between a strut and a shock.
See links in post #2.

The Element's rear suspension differs from the front in that 1) as a non-steering assembly, it doesn't need to pivot on the vertical axis and 2) it has an upper wishbone (aka "A arm"), as opposed to the front assembly, whose top end is directly attached to the unibody. But the front and rear are alike in that the spring and shock are an integrated unit. So the rear has more in common with a MacPherson strut than it does with RWD vehicles of yore, including some with independent rear suspensions.

And yes, some people call the whole thing a "shock" even though the shock absorber piston is only one part of the assembly. More often I've heard the thing called a "strut," which isn't far from the truth.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I realize there is technically a difference but it all just seems to be semantics. Majestic just calls them front and rear shock absorber assemblys.

I need them for my E as well, front one makes all sorts of noise.

·
Registered
249 Posts
fronts are a decent amount of work to replace.You can buy complete assemblies if you want to make it easier. Fronts are $400 in parts. Rears are $240 in parts and arent that hard to replace. If this costs over a grand you are getting ripped off.
Note OP location

·
Registered
24 Posts

Technically speaking a strut is a spring seated shock / spring seated damper

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Technically speaking a strut is a spring seated shock / spring seated damper
Technically speaking, a strut is a structural component designed to resist longitudinal compression,

A shock absorber is a damper used in conjunction with an elastic (sprung) suspension.

A Mcpherson strut is a automotive suspension piece which employs a coil spring and damper (shock absorber) attached to the lower A-arms and the top of the front body structure, and uses the axis of a telescopic damper as the upper steering pivot. Originally it had a lateral link with an anti-roll bar instead of the lower A-arm . It was first invented by a Ford of England engineer, Earle S. MacPherson.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Cool song. The BeeGees should have been doing Honda commercials instead of Michael Bolton.:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Another thread gone total arwy!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts