Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through the forums and can't find many people who use the Kybs, and the Sensitrac people seem to complain about them. I would prefer a stiffer ride, sounds like the Monroe Reflexes would be best, but they seem to be discontinued. One guy said he uses sensitracs on the front and kybs on the rear.

I'm considering doing the job myself - getting the bolt off seems to be the biggest issue, but there isn't much in the way of rust here in New Mexico. .. and although I have done a bit of work on cars, the spring issue does worry me.

or, if I can find a shop that will do it for $60-80 a wheel I may go that route, I'll be out the alignment in either case.

btw - I'd trade the 03 with 100k in before paying a dealer or monroe over $1200 to do it!

Opinions?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Buy a set of coilovers and a camber kit, install them, call it a day.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought people were doing coilovers to lower, but you are saying if i replace the whole strut, including spring, it is easier? but I don't want to loose any height...

can't seem to find the coilovers on ksports....

·
Registered
562 Posts
you can get oem quick struts. I think its like 900 at the dealer for all four. thats top hats, springs, oem shocks all assembled. Probably get it cheaper online at a discounter. then its simply take out and install no messing with springs.

looked it up.

all four corners at www.bkhaondaparts.com would cost you 644.28 plus shipping. easy to install that way. probably could go without an alignment that way.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I thought people were doing coilovers to lower, but you are saying if i replace the whole strut, including spring, it is easier? but I don't want to loose any height...

can't seem to find the coilovers on ksports....
the coilovers have adjustable ride height. and the reason you cant find them on the ksport site is cause they arent official yet, greg has been working with them for a while now and there was a group buy for them on here, just search for it, or get teins.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
both the teins and the ksports are a bit rich for me at $1000ish...

guess I'll have to suck it up and go with the OEMs or do the sensitrac install..

thanks for the input.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Almost all coilovers will lower ride height even at the highest setting. For street application coilovers are overkill. The most common real reason enthusiasts buy them is because they allow more lowering than springs for looks. Other reason is matched damping to spring rate, but that's only true of sets with extensive track testing (KW, H&R, etc.). Some manufacturers don't spend much time testing. They just give you adjustable dampers and leave it up to you to figure it out... which leaves a lot of room for user error.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Shock Ride

I sold both products for many years. Your best bet would be KYB, You will find the kyb ride to be more like the OE, if thats what your looking for. Although Monroe is a good shock, its import line is designed for a aftermarket shock that doesn't compare to a OE type ride. Thats why most OE companies especially imports use KYB as there supplier.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
turns out i need struts as yet, the shop confirmed that they aren't leaking, but i am getting a thump from the rear - maybe the differential mount i've read about?

thanks for the advice - looks like i will get KYBs eventually, guess the fronts come out in the spring.

·
Registered
114 Posts
turns out i need struts as yet, the shop confirmed that they aren't leaking, but i am getting a thump from the rear - maybe the differential mount i've read about?

thanks for the advice - looks like i will get KYBs eventually, guess the fronts come out in the spring.
Could be worn bushings too. How many miles on the odometer?

·
Registered
114 Posts
about to turn 100
Check bushings for wear at all suspension mounting points for sure. BTW, one way to know that you have bad/worn shocks is if your vehicle bounces several times after going over a bump. If it's not easily noticeable from the driver's seat, have someone follow and observe from another vehicle. It's pretty easy to spot. Shocks are dampers, they slow and control the up and down cycles of the springs. If they are gone, there isn't enough resistance to counter the motion so the vehicle would just bounce up and down until it loses momentum and settle. If you hit another bump before it settles, the bouncing will most likely amplify (making the vehicle difficult to control).

·
Registered
87 Posts
does anyone know how the sensatrac compares to the stock ride? Will it make it ride softer, quiter etc? I have a 09 sc and looking to mellow out the ride

·
Registered
562 Posts
does anyone know how the sensatrac compares to the stock ride? Will it make it ride softer, quiter etc? I have a 09 sc and looking to mellow out the ride
the rears will fit(most likely), but the fronts are only 03-06. in 07 they reversed the coiling of one front spring. this was to lessen bump steer from the springs being coiled the same way but shock perches are different so you can run OEM and tein basics only, ksports if they ever get finished. No one makes an aftermarket shock for the 07-up yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts