Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the ST 51183 rear bar (25mm/1 inch) without much hassle on my 2008 EX.

Installation was flawless, except that the distance between the two mounting holes in new brackets supplied by ST were too wide to fit the existing threads in the body. I had to crimp the brackets in a vise. This angled the brackets off its original mounting plane and also puts a bit of stress and extra friction on the bushings' 1" opening, which now grips the bar a bit tighter than would be ideal. Oh well, not exactly German workmanship and design.

The ride: a good compromise between reduction in body roll and ride comfort: body lean is noticeably reduced, but with no jarring, bone- rattling trade-off.

What is a bit annoying is that, while large road surface unevenness is still nicely swallowed by the suspension, small road bumps are transmitted now more noticeably to the body and the driver's behind.

To try to eliminate or reduce some of that bumpiness, I have ordered the Honda rubber bushings from the stock 25mm SC bar.

Will report my findings once I have them installed.

Best regards,
Junior Marbles

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
What is a bit annoying is that, while large road surface unevenness is still nicely swallowed by the suspension, small road bumps are transmitted now more noticeably to the body and the driver's behind.
That's because the sway is acting like a third spring due to it not being able to swing freely in its bushings.

To try to eliminate or reduce some of that bumpiness, I have ordered the Honda rubber bushings from the stock 25mm SC bar.
That should work but you will lose some of the effect of the bigger sway bar by eliminating the harder bushings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Aware of both issues, thanks.

My hope is that changing from urethane to rubber bushings will be enough of a softening to get rid of the nervous shock transfer to the body, and that the larger bar will at the same time limit lateral movement enough to avoid reintroducing major body roll.

My personal experience with Audis and Porsches (returning to rubber bushings after first using urethane-upgrades) gives me hope.

I will report soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bushings arrived. But it would have been too easy, if I could have just inserted the SC 1" bushings in the ST 1" brackets. But of course not: they are too narrow to fit the rather wide ST brackets, a bulge up top, and shoulders too. which should be straddled by properly shaped brackets.

So it's off to the Honda dealer to order SC brackets as well (and pray that the distance between their two mounting holes is the same as on my EX's body-mounted threads!)

Speaking of which: if anyone has a stock SC bar on his SC and could kindly measure the distance between the brackets' holes, where the mounting bolts are inserted (or from screw center to screw center) that may save me a wrong move...

Thanks,
JM

·
Registered
176 Posts
Rear Sway Bars

I have installed the Rear ST Sway Bars for about 2 months now and love it!
I wish I had done it sooner, because it helped reduce REAR BOUNCE by over 50%!!! It's easier on the springs and doesn't bob in the back.

I first had lowered my E on Sprint Springs and the Stock shocks but that didn't last at all. Then I changed to Monroe Shocks which helped a bit but the back was still bouncy. :confused:

Then I was told that Skunk Lower control arms would help so I bought it, installed it hoping the bounce would be gone and it was still bouncy but the worst part is I wasn't told to grease it so now every time it bounces it squeaks!!! :confused:

Then I installed the Rear ST Sway Bars and it solved the problem. It really helps with cornering but it's most noticable with absorbing rear bounce.:lol:

Because the car is so top heavy and back heavy, this item is a must for all Elements!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts