Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a couple of these tail pipe turbo installs on GTO's and Camaros and was wondering if anyone has tried to put one on an Element? Since mounting space is at such a premium on the Element, it seems like this would be a solution. I'm not looking to go racing, just want enough power to pass and climb big hills.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
that's different :) That's nice cool air there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For $2K the claimed power seems inticing. I wonder what some of our other brethren who are educated in the art of higher horsepower have to say about this magic turbo? Any harmful side effects?

·
Registered
320 Posts
only do it if there isn't any room at all for a turbo, and a turbo fits fine in our engine bays. It will cost more money to route a turbo in the rear end. Can't think of it all right now but needing a pump to just drain the oil out of the turbo is one big issue that will cost money. Put the turbo in the engine bay and let gravity drain the oil into the oil pan for free.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It also seems like a bad place to put $2k of parts. It wouldn't take much for something to fly up and destroy it like a blown out tractor trailer tire.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, an STS kit is about $600 less than a traditional under the hood turbo kit. Heat is the bane of all turbo's so getting it out from under the hood where it's hot is a good idea. Intake temps drop dramatically.

I have gone for a ride in a STS turboed GTO and the power increase was impressive and the installation was simple compared to an underhood system. There were no issues with the mounting location being exposed to debris or the, "elements". (pun intended) They don't appear to make as much boost as an under hood system but I'm not looking for max power.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
2k for a laggy turbo system, awesome!!! I owned a Squires Turbo System on my 96' Z28 for a short time. Plumbing the system sucked, tuning for it sucked, the sound from it sucked, the LAGGGGGG Sucked(I couldn't imagine the lag on a 4 cylinder), I sold that system real fast.

But for more thought, you have a 2007, so your tuning options are low in options and expensive, your 2k turbo will turn into a 4k upgrade, if you have the money and time, go for it, I recommend stay away from Squires Turbo Systems, but that's just me.

·
Registered
793 Posts
BAD IDEA... The setup i have seen was on a 4 runner, and they had to put a supercharger on it to even allow it to spool in first gear. Not only that, all of the piping adds bunches of weight, and is the main reason it won't spool for s**t... The longer the charge piping, the more area of air you have to compress. Unless you use 1/2 inch piping, which is not even logical, you will have a hard time spooling ANY turbo. There is a reason why no factory cars use these setups.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts