Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I successfully changed the rotors and brake pads on 3 wheels, but am stuck on the last one. The REar Passenger side caliper is stuck, there is one bolt that I can't get off and the head of the bolt is worn so there is not a good grip between the socket and the head of the bolt. AlsoI am having issues with the rotor, it's almost like the parking brake is stuck, so the rotor won't come off either.....any suggestions?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would consider using a gator to remove the stripped bolt. Can you tell us if you have awd on your E? The reason I ask is there is both a disc and drum and when the e-brake is on the drum is locked into place meaning the rotor can not come off.

Next time you have a bad caliper just consider rebuilding it for 2.49 with a rebuild kit from oreilly auto parts ;).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Rear brakes are the same on 2WD and 4WD cars; they both have a drum/disk combo.

Sometimes the rotor will simply be rusted onto the hub. If it turns freely (with a stuck caliper out of the picture and the tranny in neutral), the parking brake probably isn't the culprit.
Have yet to jump under a 2wd so thanks for the tip ;-)

If it is rusted just use a dead blow hammer / mallet.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would consider one of those "sockets made to remove stripped bolts" i.e. something like Grip-Tite:

http://www.bt-andf.com/index.php

which is sold at sears. If not, maybe a craftsman bolt-out may be considered.

·
Registered
302 Posts
OMG, all the bolts are so rusted I can't even loosen one. I had the garage tutorial next to me, and was trying to loosen that bolt which covers the adjustment screw in order to retract the piston, so that I can swing the caliper away from the rotor. Impossible. I might just drive the car to Midas tomorrow and have them take a look. The entire caliper is rusted, the edge of the rotor is also very rusted, as are all the nuts and bolts. I'll go to Midas and have them check it out. How much should I expect to pay to get new caliper put on? I don't think the rusted edge of the rotor matters, so I'll keep that as is.
==========================================
Turkish Property CAR PARTS WHOLESALE

This sounds like a great excuse to buy BIGGER, BETTER TOOLS! :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
rotors stuck

I had the same problem, the inside "bowl" on the rotor had a line of rust built up that prevented the rotor from sliding free from the hub. I used a chisel or large screwdriver to scrape and pound the rust ring free on the rotor until I could use the mallet to remove it. It was a little bit of work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts