Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was all set to do the front brakes on my 04 this weekend and having removed 9 of the 10 lug nuts on the front wheels, #10 and of course the one with the honda keyed lug nut wouldn't budge. I was in danger of stripping out the key when I gave up and headed to autozone to see if they had an impact they could hit it with. (It was Sunday in small town SC and all the tire shops were closed) They had an one and after 10 minutes of effort no luck.

I'm guessing when I had the front tires replaced in May that the shop that did it cross threaded the nut. I'm going to take it over there today and hope for the best, but can anyone tell me what my options are if it's frozen? I'm guessing they will have to break it off and replace the lug but I'm wondering how they will do that?

All I know is the keyed lug nuts are coming off the truck and not going back on.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hope that works out...

I had a similar thing happen to my old Honda Passport. And they ended up getting the nut off, but it damaged the stud. Then they cut the stud - damaging the wheel in the process.... Less good.

I hope your experience is better. Keep us posted.

I've just picked up my '08 and it has the wheel locks... I may have to check them this week to ensure that I can get them off (should there ever be a need).

·
Registered
178 Posts
I never trust anyone to touch my cars including dealerships as I can give you invoice after invoice of work never performed and invoice after invoice of work performed wrong.

I would stop by an auto store and guy a 36" break bar for around $10. Bust the nut off with this (also will make changing tires a breeze in the future). Buy an impact screwdriver to remove the rotor and replace the stud (cost around $10-$15 and once again a lifetime tool you can use for years). By a replacement stud ($1.50) and lug ($1.50) and your in business. If you take it back they could end up "nascaring" the other lugs on crooked yet again. This is typical of what happens when you don't start any nut by hand....

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
On another vehicle I was have problems with a locking lugnut. I was actually breaking the 'key' - it was an older style with two press-fitted parts.

I called McMaster (the lug nut manufacturer). Their advise was to put the other lug nuts back on, and tighten them well. This would relieve some of the pressure on the stuck one. Then try to lossen the stuck one first.

·
Registered
178 Posts
His problem is more than likely a cross thread. If they are apply too much torque to a lug nut that would be the least of my worries. I would be more pissed about warping my rotor from the extra pressure :/.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Locking wheel lugs are only there to aggravate the owner and give a false sense of security. A good thief can have them off in a jiffy----seen it done on a 20/20 special.
+1..... they are a joke. throw them in the garbage... ;-)
& bringing it back to the last place that removed your wheels is the right thing to do, i agree. They should replace stud for free, if not, never go back. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the car back to the tire shop and after about 40 mins and several tools designed to take off a stuck keyed lug nut they got it off the nut and shockingly enough it wasn't cross threaded. I had them break all the lugs loose and hand tighten them back.

Then it was off to AZ for four new lug nuts and the keyed nuts are in the dumpster. Am just glad the problem occurred on my terms and not on the side of the highway with a flat.

Thanks for all the responses

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts