Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to put a Scosche PowerVolt™ Dash Port into the center console of my 2008 Element SC. The thought (hope?) being I could replace the accessory power port that’s already in there. I’ve gotten the center console trim pulled out without a problem. Now I’m trying to figure out how to get the accessory power port guts out. Anybody have any brilliant ideas how that thing is fastened in. I could probably take my Dremel to it and grind it out but that seems so violent so I’m open to other suggestions. Ideas would be appreciated!

· Registered
08 Rootbeer Metallic SC
181 Posts
Are you talking about the Aux port in the center console (under the arm rest)
If so, you'll need to pull the cigarette lighter out along with the Aux port (you can't pull them separately).
Once the aux port is out and free, disassembly of the 1/8 aux port is a snap.
I used a drill to widen the opening and dremel and a file to get the opening to fit/snap the Amazon part I bought below.
The top closes over the port with no problem.

BATIGE Square Single Port USB 3.0 Panel Flush Mount Extension Cable with Buckle for Car Truck Boat Motorcycle Dashboard 3ft https://a.co/d/69HZo2k

Office equipment Gas Gadget Motor vehicle Machine

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If so, you'll need to pull the cigarette lighter out along with the Aux port (you can't pull them separately).
I used a drill to widen the opening and dremel and a file to get the opening to fit/snap the Amazon part I bought below.

BATIGE Square Single Port USB 3.0 Panel Flush Mount Extension Cable with Buckle for Car Truck Boat Motorcycle Dashboard 3ft https://a.co/d/69HZo2k

View attachment 219473
Cool! Slightly different from what I had in mind. Here's where I had been going:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Once I got the cigarette lighter like thing out, I was going to cut the plug off the existing power cable and replace it with spade connectors to connect to the Scosche PowerVolt which supplies the USB-A port and a USB-C charge only port. Looks like this:

Guitar accessory Font Material property Musical instrument accessory Magenta

I guess either way will work. At least you've given me a good clue about getting the Accessory AND the Power ports out. Do they just pop out together or do you have to beat them with a stick to get them out?

Thanks!

· Registered
08 Rootbeer Metallic SC
181 Posts
Do they just pop out together or do you have to beat them with a stick to get them out?
Ah, Ok, I see what your going for.
So to take the "cigarette lighter" out...there is a T tool that you can buy to pop the two black tabs out, seen on the inside of the barrel. However, I didn't have the tool and snapped both out completely. It's weird that once you release the barrel and pull it out on its own, everything else comes apart just fine. 🤷‍♂️
My guess is that you won't need the black tabs since the item your putting in most likely has threads and a nut to secure it?
I used Tessa tape and a zip tie to re-secure the cigarette lighter on mine.
Hope this helps.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, Ok, I see what your going for.
So to take the "cigarette lighter" out...there is a T tool that you can buy to pop the two black tabs out, seen on the inside of the barrel. However, I didn't have the tool and snapped both out completely. It's weird that once you release the barrel and pull it out on its own, everything else comes apart just fine. 🤷‍♂️
My guess is that you won't need the black tabs since the item your putting in most likely has threads and a nut to secure it?
I used Tessa tape and a zip tie to re-secure the cigarette lighter on mine.
Hope this helps.
Perfect! Thanks. Tomorrow I’ll assault those plastic tabs. You’re right, I won’t need them anyway since the whole lighter socket is going away to make room for the USB socket. And yes, the USB socket is threaded with a couple of nuts on the inside to retain it.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, flailing away at the tabs all morning has accomplished almost exactly nothing. The thing’s still in there and stubbornly refusing to budge even 1 mm. It appears I’m now reduced to destroying the socket in place. Maybe if I can get it split down one side perhaps I can roll it up like a tube and get it out then. More to come. 🤬

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

View attachment 219473
Man, I should have listened to you and done mine the same way you did in the first place! I spent yesterday fighting with the accessory socket trying to get it out of the cover. After hours of work, kicking, screaming, and cussing the whole way, I finally managed to destroy the socket enough to beat it out of the cover. Whoever designed that thing evidently has a fetish about tight tolerances. 😲

Anyway, finally got it out and started to get the Scosche unit installed. But even though it’s a smaller diameter than some of its competitors, it was still too big to fit the hole. Took my trusty Dremel to the cover and started grinding out the hole. Finally got it big enough to insert the socket but it was a stupidly tight fit but I got it in. Went to reinstall the cover and now the cover has been expanded in diameter because of the tightness of the socket and it won’t go back into the center console. Additionally, due to all the grinding, the tabs that lock the cover into the center console parted ways with the cover. 🤬

At that point I decided to cut my losses and just copy what you did. So, I ordered the same part from Amazon that you mentioned, spent about 30 seconds getting the AUX socket out this morning and another 10 seconds getting the guts out of it. The Amazon order should be here today and should be simple to get installed. The replacement cover and socket from Honda will take a little longer to get here and costs a whole bunch more. 🙄

Wish someone could explain to me why I’m such an idiot and have to try to take most complicated solution when the simple one is staring me in the face. FWIW, my wife thinks I’m an idiot too. Evidently, she’s right.

Thanks so much for your help! 👍

· Registered
08 Rootbeer Metallic SC
181 Posts
@catrancher ...hey man, don't beat yourself up too bad. It took me an entire day with the center console out of the car and in my living room to get the freaking socket out. And that was WITH the Honda manual as reference.
Same situation as the aux plug in the passenger side dash....I destroyed that one as well, and had to repurchase.
When you start cutting the opening for the USB just take your time. I used a flat file and scraped away, little by little and then test fit each time. (Wish I'd taken pics) The USB part has tabs on ether side that you'll need to use a little "ball dremel" (Pic below) to cut the grooves on either side for it to fit. Even still, I used gorilla glue to secure it in place once done.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Wood Ruler Tool Font Office ruler

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
@JustJayro, wise advice and dogged persistence wins the day. Per your cautions, I surgically neutered the Aux port very, very carefully. A sharp scalpel, a few files, and various sanding sticks along with my trusty Dremel have resulted in what I would call a perfect fit. Now it’s on to the homestretch. I think the rest of this project is gonna be a snap! Thanks man!
Product Circuit component Rectangle Gas Electric blue

Reactions: JustJayro
1 - 11 of 11 Posts