Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to add coolant ever 7-8 months in my car for some reason so I was adding it last night to the reservoir (the rad was full) and with the engine being cold, I accidently filled it to just under the max line. I was wondering if that is too full because I thought the max line is for when the engine is hot. I have visions of spewing blue goo all over and I am paranoid:grin:

Thanks, Becca

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Relax...it'll be fine. ;-)

Even if it gets really hot and there isn't enough room, it'll just dribble a liitle bit out the overflow hose. It won't be much, and tt won't spew or spray all over.

I'm surprised you have to add so often.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
From what I did (and recall from the service manual), the res is supposed to be filled up to the max... but now I may have to dbl check.

That said, if you're too worried, it's only one bolt holding the resevoir in place, so it's easy to remove and empty some out.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have to add coolant ever 7-8 months in my car for some reason so I was adding it last night to the reservoir (the rad was full) and with the engine being cold, I accidently filled it to just under the max line. I was wondering if that is too full because I thought the max line is for when the engine is hot. I have visions of spewing blue goo all over and I am paranoid:grin:

Thanks, Becca
I would not worry about it. If there is too much in the reservoir it will dribble out. Not to worry though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Even if it gets really hot and there isn't enough room, it'll just dribble a liitle bit out the overflow hose. It won't be much, and tt won't spew or spray all over.

yeah, this is the first car that I have ever had to add coolant to. supposably there are no leaks. I was told maybe a bad radiator cap.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Dribbling....

Yeah, Aprilia is right, guys over 50 are just like that...dribbling... it's okay! No Spew, No Spray! Curious problem, otherwise. I just changed coolant in the E and the CRV.

·
Registered
50 Posts
run engine ice

try running engine ice, hi-performance engine coolant that perserves nature by being biodegradable. also reduces driving temperatures by as much as 50°F and keeps boil over temperatures to 256 °F or for those where it gets mighty cold, it gives better freeze-up protection to -27° F.

www.engineice.com

Attachments

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
try running engine ice, hi-performance engine coolant that perserves nature by being biodegradable. also reduces driving temperatures by as much as 50°F and keeps boil over temperatures to 256 °F or for those where it gets mighty cold, it gives better freeze-up protection to -27° F.

www.engineice.com
ummm ya...
or try reading the manual, where you will learn that the E does NOT have standard rad fluid in it, but long life coolant. Be VERY careful about putting any additive it it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Engine Coolant

I would not put any aftermarket coolant in your E. Use the Honda Coolant. As others have mentioned it is specially formulated for the engine (alloy) and will offer maximum corrosion protection. It may cost a little more but, in my opinion, it is worth it. Also, I have never heard of any coolant being "The Secret to Horsepower" before, unless of course, that is something you added in as a joke.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,890 Posts
I would not put any aftermarket coolant in your E. Use the Honda Coolant. As others have mentioned it is specially formulated for the engine (alloy) and will offer maximum corrosion protection. It may cost a little more but, in my opinion, it is worth it.
plus 1 on that!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Engine coolant overflow tank

Just bought my 2010 element 24,000 miles, i use texaco dexcool
50/50 with distilled water. Use short automatic trans fill funnel
for the coolent overflow tank, yes the coolent is difficult to
see, add only a cup at a time, use plastic solo cup. Keep level halfway between the min/max lines. To lower the level i use 5' piece of eastman-imperial 1/4 id plastic tubing, drain into container.
My father worked at t&o testing machine co, he always had some eastman-imperial tubing around, you can order 20', have them mail it to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts