Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Fiji EX-AWD
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped out an oem 2007 radio I found at salvage yard into my 2004. Sounds great and all, but the volume dial has a brain of its own. Turn volume up, it may go up then down then up in one turn. Same with the bass/treble dial. Ive only found that pushing the dials in pretty hard and then turning back and forth sorta makes it "do right". Do these dials pop off? It's almost like they just weren't used alot. Or is it the other way around and it's worn out? Is there a fix before I toss this thing in the garbage?

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,370 Posts
I swapped out an oem 2007 radio I found at salvage yard into my 2004. Sounds great and all, but the volume dial has a brain of its own. Turn volume up, it may go up then down then up in one turn. Same with the bass/treble dial. Ive only found that pushing the dials in pretty hard and then turning back and forth sorta makes it "do right". Do these dials pop off? It's almost like they just weren't used alot. Or is it the other way around and it's worn out? Is there a fix before I toss this thing in the garbage?
View attachment 207615
The original factory radio / CD player in my '03 EX does the exact same thing. : - (

Would a shot of some good old fashioned contact cleaner help any?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
2004 Fiji EX-AWD
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would if I could get the dial off!!! But they don't budge. I feel like I'll break it if I keep pulling🤷

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had this happen on my '96 Civic. I opened the radio up and then was able to open the dial component(no idea what the proper name is), once that was open it was easy to clean and grease the contacts. Worked perfect when I put it all back together. If Honda used a similar component on the Element, could be an easy fix.

I guess what causes the issue is oxidation of the copper in the dial. So, basically clean the copper contacts - make 'em shiny, add dielectric grease to protect the contacts.

·
Registered
2004 SOP EX/AWD/MT
230 Posts
And here I thought it was only the SOP model radios had a mind of their own :p

·
Registered
2005 Element EX Automatic 4WD
3 Posts
View attachment 207615
I fixed mine with Deoxit D5 spray. Get at Amazon or local Guitar Center. My 2005 knobs were hard to get off but they do come off. Get the 5oz. can with the spray tip. Just a shot with key turned off. Work the heck out of it and it will clean right up. Also fixed a cranky ignition switch, too. I used this in my work for years. Good stuff. A little goes a long way. This is not WD40 crap.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I fixed mine with Deoxit D5 spray. Get at Amazon or local Guitar Center. My 2005 knobs were hard to get off but they do come off. Get the 5oz. can with the spray tip. Just a shot with key turned off. Work the heck out of it and it will clean right up. Also fixed a cranky ignition switch, too. I used this in my work for years. Good stuff. A little goes a long way. This is not WD40 crap.
Deoxit is awesome stuff, does the D5 spray have a lubricant in it or is it just the cleaner and corrosion remover? I havent used deoxit in years but remember someone said it had to be followed up with a lubricant spray after the contact cleaner spray

·
Registered
2005 Element EX Automatic 4WD
3 Posts
The D5 has a mineral spirits type base and provides lubricant too or at least all the lube you need in electronic components. Go to the Caig website. They make just a contact cleaner and lots of other products. Guitar people swear by it for amp, etc.The D5 is flammable so no sparks or open flame and probably not to spray on live equipment. On the radio I just made sure the key was off and it’s says to wait a couple on minutes for it to evaporate. Also used it for better connection on my Aux jack and the best repair was my ignition switch. Good luck. Price at Amazon is $14.95 a can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts