Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.OK...I read the owners manual and can't find the location of the speakers anywhere.....call me stupid... :roll: :oops: ..well my car has the subwoofer in the spare tire as the 7th speaker...so where is the one on the Element??...the salesman didn't know and I just picked up my wife's SOP EX two wheel....sounds are coming from everywhere...but not as good as my BOSE system on my RSX-S.... :wink: :D

Thanks

·
Registered
894 Posts
On the EX, it's just below the centre console.

Iskie

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote:5fd78a5602="isketerol"]On the EX, it's just below the centre console.

Iskie[/quote:5fd78a5602]

I pouring rain right now...so I will check it out after it slows down a bit...and I thank you ...Merci

·
Registered
113 Posts
Shame on your dealer! That's pretty basic knowledge for someone who is trying to sell a car! In any case, try turning the bass up so it's really thumping and put your hand down there... that little sub moves quite a bit of air!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote:a4b51b4c33="Aykew"]Shame on your dealer! That's pretty basic knowledge for someone who is trying to sell a car! In any case, try turning the bass up so it's really thumping and put your hand down there... that little sub moves quite a bit of air![/quote:a4b51b4c33]

He said it was his 1st Element...and funny that it seemed that I knew more about Honda's than he did....besides the Element was a swap from another dealer and it had side steps and I looked over and over on the invoice and final contract and can't find them charging us for them....maybe an oversight....but my wife likes them.... :D :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
OK, I will finally "come out" about my audio ignorance. I want someone to explain to me just what a subwoofer does. Yep, I can hear all that sound coming out of the big speaker beneath the center console. So, is it just another speaker? Or is it supposed to pre-amplify the sound or give it more bass or what?

Thanks in advance for dispelling my ignorance (and this from someone who has owned a couple of fairly nice home stereo systems).

- Steve

·
Registered
894 Posts
In layman's terms, it provides very low frequency bass. A woofer provides bass, so the subwoofer provides the lower frequencies that the woofer does not. A tweeter provides the high end, and a mid-range provides the sounds in between.

A subwoofer will provide a nice low bass sound for drums, bass violins, and the like. It provides the nice rumbly bass.

All too often, subwoofers in cars get misused to create bone-jarring bass that makes the brake pedals of the driver behind them vibrate and their stomach queasy. To my ears, a good bass sounds clean not necessarily loud.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Iskie

·
Registered
957 Posts
In more technical terms:

First, you have to understand that humans can mostly only hear sounds in the 20-20000 hertz range - therefore any decent sound system should be able to reporoduce this range. To do so accurately requires various sizes and types of speakers for different parts of the sound spectrum...

• Subwoofers are generally responsible for sounds in the 20-200 hertz range.

Mid-bass (or woofers) are generally responsible for sounds in the 200-4000 hertz range.

Tweeters are generally responsible for sounds in the 4000-20000 hertz range.

In terms of power, subs generally require the most since they are usually the least efficient and largest speakers in the system with the most magnet structure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the good info guys, and for clearing up this mystery for me.\
I pretty much knew what the difference was between woofers and tweeters. It never occurred to me that a subwoofer was something to reproduce sounds at lower frequencies than a woofer -- although by the name, it seems obvious now!

- Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts