Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello EOC!

I know there was a thread back in 2015 about installing aftermarket steering wheels in Elements that turned up little result. I wanted to take the time to post what I did to install an aftermarket steering wheel with a quick release hub. If you all will forgive the starting of a new thread, I figured I’ll share a successful install right off the bat. I’ve seen several Elements on social media with aftermarket steering wheels, but no info on the parts or installation.

I’ll post the breakdown of what parts and install tips/tricks to follow.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The installation was extremely simple and only took about an hour and a half. The steering wheel I used is the Viilante “Procrastinator’s Club ‘Feels Trip’” wheel. I purchased an NRG Thin Quick Release hub and NRG SRK-131H short hub adapter. The steering wheel came with an included horn button, but I also had to buy an airbag resistor & fuse kit for a Honda S2000 AP2 (just picked it up from eBay nothing fancy). The resistor and fuse kit ensures that the airbag light is off on the instrument cluster and the remaining airbags in the car will still work.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the quick release hub is disconnected and the steering wheel removed, the lap room for things like laptops, a quick roadside snack, etc. is incredible.

NRG does mention on their website that the Thin quick release does not work with their short hub line. However, the only modification that is required to make it work is to remove the spring loaded retainer clip on the airbag connector. (This should go without saying, but PLEASE have the battery disconnected while doing this installation) The outer retainer on this connector is the one that needs to be removed. It can be done with a small pick or flat head screwdriver.

When working with the airbag circuit and clock spring, be sure to avoid turning the clock spring more than a few degrees in either direction as this can cause damage. It’s definitely not a part you want to replace.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the airbag connector, clip in your resistors and fuses (instructions will come with that kit - some may vary). You’ll slip ONLY the horn wire (brown) and airbag connector with resistors and relays (yellow) through the hole in the short hub. The cruise control and volume connectors will remain inside the outer portion of the short hub (I used electrical tape to secure them in place to avoid any rattling sounds).

Once you have the connectors in their correct locations, you can slip the short hub over the clock spring and into place on the splines of the steering column. For the horn, I used a large eyelet connector for the ground wire that I secured under the steering column bolt. When installing the steering column bolt, make sure that it is torqued to spec. (I don’t remember this spec of the top of my head. I’ll look it up and edit this once I get a chance.)

Now you have the flying leads for the horn, a black ground wire and a brown hot wire. Follow the instructions included with your new horn or quick release to complete that wiring. And boom! A new aftermarket steering wheel is installed.

I know I skipped over the removal of the OEM steering wheel. However, I found tons of info on doing that on the EOC forums and the all-mighty YouTube.

· Premium Member
2004 Element EX-S AWD 6MT = “Zippy”
506 Posts
Wonderful writeup!

Is there ANY chance you could find the part number of the "Switch Assy., Lighting & Turn Signal" shown to the left of your column?
I own 3 Elements, apparently none of them came from the factory with fog/driving lights... :eek:

On the right side of my column, I do have the Honda Pilot variable intermittent wiper switch in Zippy...
I find it useful almost every time I need the wipers... Check out that mod, seems right up your alley?

Thanks!
-Brad

· Registered
76 Posts
im stuck! any info on the horn wiring would be greatly appreciated. these are the only wires that were coming off my wheel. is the green wire the horn positive? do i just run a ground wire from the quick release through the hub down to a ground? also, how d you remove the spring connector piece? i cant see a way to get it off. please and thanks! stoked the hub fits!

· Registered
76 Posts
got it finished! yes, the green wire coming out of my wheel was horn power. i did like aruth, and ran a ground from the quick release to the steering column bolt.

after that bolted up the quick release and boom! horn working, no srs light.

the yellow spring release was a lil tricky but i got it.

thank you again aruth for this writeup!

· Premium Member
506 Posts

grilledcheese,

Nice work!

I like the red stitching matching up with the red boot...
If you wanted to go even further... I believe 35510-S6A-J01 is the red hazard switch from 02-06 RSX / 02-05 Civic Si

(Other than someone posting off topic pics...)
...some great steering wheel tech, thanks again Aruth!!

Brad

· Registered
76 Posts
grilledcheese,

Nice work!

If you wanted to go even further... I believe 35510-S6A-J01 is the red hazard switch from 02-06 RSX / 02-05 Civic Si

View attachment 208365

Brad
trust me, ive been hunting!! i cant justify the $50+ price tag for a fancier colored button...just yet. also, just for the info the hazard button for the honda stream also works and is red. thanks for the kind words! really made a huge difference in the everyday feel of the element!

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got it finished! yes, the green wire coming out of my wheel was horn power. i did like aruth, and ran a ground from the quick release to the steering column bolt.

View attachment 208351
I'm so sorry mate! For some reason I have been having issues getting post notifications.

Your setup looks incredible! I'm glad you were able to get the horn and SRS clip sorted out. I did this write-up long after the install and like an idiot, I didn't take pictures in the process. Thank you for adding the additional info for EOC on the horn and clips.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there ANY chance you could find the part number of the "Switch Assy., Lighting & Turn Signal" shown to the left of your column?
I own 3 Elements, apparently none of them came from the factory with fog/driving lights... :eek:

On the right side of my column, I do have the Honda Pilot variable intermittent wiper switch in Zippy...
I find it useful almost every time I need the wipers... Check out that mod, seems right up your alley?

Thank you for the support, and I will definitely look into the Pilot wiper switch mod. As for the turn signal switch assembly, let me call my local Honda dealer today and see if I can find that part number for you.

· Registered
2,616 Posts
grilledcheese,

Nice work!

View attachment 208365

Brad
Is that red button a direct plug and play on the element?

· Premium Member
506 Posts
Is that red button a direct plug and play on the element?
Yup, as grilledcheese indicated, it is direct plug and play... the image I included is my dash (complete with RSX 6 speed shifter)

I’m sorry to derail the original post... the steering wheel tech is awesome... 😂

Brad

· Premium Member
506 Posts
I do like a nice clean interior... well done #24...

:geek: (y)

Brad

Reactions: Aruth

· Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 208346

after that bolted up the quick release and boom! horn working, no srs light.

the yellow spring release was a lil tricky but i got it.

View attachment 208348

View attachment 208351
Did you have any issues with rattling from the wires inside the short hub? I know with all three connectors in there space tends to get short.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts