Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some good advise. While driving my 2005 Element,awd, I was traveling about 65mph when It felt like the engine misfired. I pulled over and put in park and revved the motor. When it reached about 3000 rpm it felt like the engine was using a rev limiter and dopped a cylinder. The engine light came on and stayed on. The rest of the drive home I had to keep it under 3000 rpm and not get on the gas too hard or the same problem would occur. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
EOC Rank: Registered
201 Posts
You need to find out what triggered the CEL. Sounds to me like a problem with the v-tec pressure switch on the cylinder head. Could be something as simple as a low engine oil level. Could also be a bad switch or a clogged screen in the vtec solenoid.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
You need to find out what triggered the CEL. Sounds to me like a problem with the v-tec pressure switch on the cylinder head. Could be something as simple as a low engine oil level. Could also be a bad switch or a clogged screen in the vtec solenoid.
Too soon to conjecture about specifics - could be anything. There are a number of conditions which will put the ECU into "limp" mode like this. Since the CEL is lit, next thing to do is get the code read, and only then do we start to think about specific parts.

Steve, the sudden loss of engine power was directly attributable to the ECU invoking "safe mode" on detection of a malfunction, and wasn't a "cylinder drop". I have changed the title of this thread to reflect this. The 3000 rpm limiter is part of this safe mode. The ECU has detected a condition the software considers to be serious and possibly self-destructive, and is "encouraging" you to not push it any more than it takes to get safely stopped. IOW, this limited mode is basically designed to get you to the side of the road and no more.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey I just had the same thing happen to me today. What feels like a rev limiter wont let me go above 3K RPM.

Auto Zone's meter showed P2646 no surprise there. Oil level is OK. I put Heet in the tank and drove it gently about 25 miles and no help there. (it did start 30 miles after filling the tank).

What is strange is the handheld diagnostic machine read "rocker arm actuator A-Bank 1 Perf. or stuck off" but the printout read

"BBVTEC oil pressure switch circuit low voltage
Probable cause
BB1-low voltage level, low oil pressure or blocked passage
BB2-Failed oil pressure switch"

What would be a logical next step if the Oil pressure switch cleaning does not work????

Is there a way to test the oil pressure switch? Does anyone know what the voltages SHOULD be?

Thanks in advance for any help. I was on my way from Kansas City to Chicago (520 miles) when this started and I turned around and came back to avoid being stuck in the middle of a corn field. I want to get home soon and I want to avoid paying a dealer if I can as I am currently unemployed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ughh ... this is the exact same thing that happened to my 2004 a week ago. I was heading back on my 80 mile trip when the engine 'misfired' and lost nearly all power. Same symptoms as you, could not go above 3000 rpm. I limped home and took mine into the shop; they said it was a bad VTEC something or other and replaced it. Did not make it to the gas station before the same thing happened so back it went.

Long story short, this happened 3 times with a new 'part' being fixed each time. I have a Honda Care warranty that is getting a workout. The guy at the shop said there are only a few more steps before they put in a new motor. Apparently, if you are experiencing the same code that I have, there is a prescribed script the techs follow.

Hope it works out for you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts