Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 4WD 2006 EX-P Element last year with 97,000 miles on it and averaged 22-25mpg last winter-just as cold as this winter. The last two months average fuel consumption has been 17-19 mpg. The mechanic says it is "running rich" but cannot figure out why. I have searched and cannot find a reason for this. My driving habits have not changed, the fuel pressure is normal. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
81 Posts
multitude of factors possibly:

-Valves
-Spark plugs are due at 90k iridium type
-air filter
-Tire pressures/balance
-Check coil packs
02 sensor

I stayed up on my maint. and always had consistent mileage.

Good luck and please let us know what you find

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
That article said 2% less inherent energy . . . that would make my mixed mileage 21.5 instead of 22. Are there other factors with winter gas that would effect mileage? (not trying to disagree, just trying to better understand the blends.)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
My Element Gas Mileage Over the Years

Here's my Element's Mileage over the years. Purchased in May 2006. All scheduled maintenance tasks done on time.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
bofus - loving the graph. Can you tell me if you've changed any of the O2 sensors ever? On an 05 Accord I also had I experienced the same gradual loss of mileage. Apparently in my case it was one of the A/F O2 sensor slowly going off range with age. No DTC but OBD was showing increasing fuel trim and no vac leaks as far as we could locate.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have not had the O2 sensor changed as far as I know. Next time at the dealer, I'll ask. I figured that it was the gasoline change from 100% to 90% + 10% alcohol. I do not do long drives as much now on a tank of gas. Plot below shows MPG on the left, and Gals/Day on the Right.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased a 2006 AWD automatic about a year and a half ago. I have averaged between 13 and 17 mpg. I have changed the upstream and downstream sensors, but it hasn't helped.

·
EOC Rank: Seagull
1 Posts
i have a 2006 with VTEC and manual transmission and 270,000 miles on it. It has always gotten 24 mpg. It suddenly dropped to 16 mpg. I have new spark plugs, new coils, new injectors, new mass air sensor, new front and rear O2 sensors, new tires with correct pressure, new brakes with no caliper issues, new Vtec oil pressure sensor, new air filter. But still i am getting 16 mpg. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have a 2006 with VTEC and manual transmission and 270,000 miles on it. It has always gotten 24 mpg. It suddenly dropped to 16 mpg. I have new spark plugs, new coils, new injectors, new mass air sensor, new front and rear O2 sensors, new tires with correct pressure, new brakes with no caliper issues, new Vtec oil pressure sensor, new air filter. But still i am getting 16 mpg. Any ideas?
I am almost in the same position here. 2003 EX AWD. Getting on average 15.5MPG (best being 18.5 on highway going 55-60mph, like a slow ass**le), which is absolutely horrific. Used to get above 20 pretty much constantly, regardless of driving habits or environment (city/highway) on my good old 2004 EX (RIP), which fell victim of a stupid driver, who lost the ability to comprehend stop signs.

The new one has:
All new breaks, rotors & calipers, struts, engine & diff mounts, spark plugs, engine/tranny/break fluids. Alignment done recently. Tires have plenty of thread left (however are pretty aggressive, so not very fuel-efficient). Checked battery & inverter, both good. No roof rack. No rear seats or heavy cargo in the back. No scan codes of any kind found in the system either. Engine & tranny oil smells & looks good, no residue under the oil cap either. The engine only has 90k on it (body has more). No rough idling.

Looked for vacuum leaks, but couldn't see anything obvious.. Listened for irregularities in fuel injector pattern and all seem ok too.

Have a non-OEM lockable fuel cap, could that cause any significant MPG drop?

Any ideas? What can be causing such a poor fuel economy. I am lost for ideas.

Has anyone ever managed to find something that, after being corrected, fixed their poor MPG dramatically?

·
Registered
3 Posts
redbonehound143 - did you ever find anything that fixed your MPG issues?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am almost in the same position here. 2003 EX AWD. Getting on average 15.5MPG (best being 18.5 on highway going 55-60mph, like a slow ass**le), which is absolutely horrific. Used to get above 20 pretty much constantly, regardless of driving habits or environment (city/highway) on my good old 2004 EX (RIP), which fell victim of a stupid driver, who lost the ability to comprehend stop signs.

The new one has:
All new breaks, rotors & calipers, struts, engine & diff mounts, spark plugs, engine/tranny/break fluids. Alignment done recently. Tires have plenty of thread left (however are pretty aggressive, so not very fuel-efficient). Checked battery & inverter, both good. No roof rack. No rear seats or heavy cargo in the back. No scan codes of any kind found in the system either. Engine & tranny oil smells & looks good, no residue under the oil cap either. The engine only has 90k on it (body has more). No rough idling.

Looked for vacuum leaks, but couldn't see anything obvious.. Listened for irregularities in fuel injector pattern and all seem ok too.

Has anyone ever managed to find something that, after being corrected, fixed their poor MPG dramatically?
Alexander - did you ever find anything that fixed your MPG issues?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Alexander - did you ever find anything that fixed your MPG issues?
Unfortunately, no. It did improve slightly in summer, but still pretty bad, compared to my last E.

I have just done valve adjustment and was told that the exhaust valves were tight. Will need to monitor the efficiency now to see if that made a difference.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Tires and their manufactured "rolling resistence level" can have a big impact on MPG's. As well as: Tire pressure, engine air filter, Octane Level of fuel used.

When 87 octane fuel is used, the DME will retard the timing to prevent engine damage. I run 92 and higher, its definately peppier and gets better mileage too.

In winter months around October they switch to winter / conditioned fuel. MPG will drop a bit and when colder weather sets in due to engine warm up time, be reduced even more.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Tires and their manufactured "rolling resistence level" can have a big impact on MPG's. As well as: Tire pressure, engine air filter, Octane Level of fuel used.

When 87 octane fuel is used, the DME will retard the timing to prevent engine damage. I run 92 and higher, its definately peppier and gets better mileage too.

In winter months around October they switch to winter / conditioned fuel. MPG will drop a bit and when colder weather sets in due to engine warm up time, be reduced even more.
Have seen up to 10 percent mpg difference with low resistance tires. Have never had any luck with premium fuel but have seen a slight increase by using no alcohol gasoline. The biggest increase in mpg can be found by slowing down to 60 mph and under on the highway.

·
Registered
15 Posts

The new one has:

No news ever on how to fix what happened? Same exact thing happened to mine. Spot on

1 - 20 of 23 Posts