Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 EX 4wd Automatic w/ 29,700 miles.

The car is driven 100 miles per day communting. It is almost all highway and we drive at about 80mph. Previously we had been getting 26mpg. We go through tanks fairly quickly with this commute so we have a lot of fill ups to base this on. Recently, about the last 4 fill ups, the car has been getting 20to 21 mpg. Tire pressure is good, oil is fresh, no fuel leaks, and no check engine light.

What could be the problem and where do I go from here. I've tried nothing and I'm all of of ideas.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
check your air filter might need to be changed

·
Registered
178 Posts
Google your state and seasonal fuel mixtures to see if they are using more ethanol now than were in prior months. Air filter and spark plugs could be in need of service but it's weird that you had such a quick drop instead of casual decline.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I agree with wipeout and you will loose milage if the fuel has Ethanal in it.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,930 Posts
Ideas:

Have you noticed a difference in acceleration? If so, change the air filter; when it is really clogged the ECM can't compensate.

Have you changed the amount of time you're using the A/C? At 80 mph small additional loads on the engine can have disproportionate effects.

Are you checking your tire pressure first thing in the morning when the temperature is at its lowest and the tires are cold? Checking them late in the day can give a distorted measurement A 1-2# difference in tire pressure can make a large difference in rolling friction .

Look at your brakes to see if one of the pads is sticking.

Did you hit a pothole or a construction rut about 4 weeks ago? When did you last have a 4 wheel alignment done?

Look at the exhaust system. Has a connecting pipe been dented?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts