Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to give this a try. It is static cling tint and is cheap. I thought about making something out of a sun screen fabric and attaching it with velcro. This might work better.

http://www.axius.com/html/products/film/film_static.htm

I will make a follow up post when I get it installed.

- CK

·
Registered
261 Posts
looks interesting. please post what you think of the product after you have it installed. i will be interested to see if it works.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was thinking about that but I got one of those things that you can pull and retract

just afraid that when i go to sleep in the E the thing will fall off :wink: :lol: 8) :roll: :eek: :) :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
"i got one of those things that you can pull and retract"
which thing? do you like it? could you post a pic (or a link to a pic)?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The overhead moon roof is way too sunny. What about getting the thing titnted. How much do you think that would be?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I tried that static stuff and it comes off REALLY easy. It just kept falling off whenever it started getting warm. So I got some 5% limo tint and tinted it. A tint shop would probably charge around $35...

·
Registered
176 Posts
i tried the static stuff as well. fell off after a few minutes. However, I heard from a few friends that if you spray water on a clean window and then apply the static stuff, it stays on very nicely.

you can buy the static film at wal mart, and its cheap enough so that you dont have to worry about expensive mess-ups.

on that note, i plan on taking out my sunroof (on a non-rainy day hopefully) and using that as a template to cut and apply the film as professionally as is possible :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sheet of Scotch 3M metal film, dark color (I used 5% limo tint). Took roof out, put it on a soft beach towel on my kitchen table. lay the film out first and cut it to fit with a razor blade. Then Spray the inside of the glass with water. Peel the liner off the film and lay in, working slowly from one side to the other, smoothing as you go. Take a small squeegie and work out the excess water and air bubbles. Set outside in the sun for about an hour to bake to make for good adhesion. BAM! done! Since it doesn't slide like a power roof, you don't have to wait 48 hours before using the sunroof.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used water with the static stuff and it is still holding fine after a month. There are a few bubbles that I haven't been able to get out but otherwise it has been ok. I am debating whether to install the real stuff. During cool weather I would like to have more sunlight come in though.

- CK

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was told by a window tint shop that tinting the sunroof may cause it to shatter in extreme heat. Has anyone else had experience or knowledge of this?

·
Registered
97 Posts
getting a plastic bubble, so your passengers could stick their heads out and look around without getting windblown? Kind of a Jetson thing. lol

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
i made a quick cradboard sunlight blocker...

it's 2 pieces, covered with aluminum foil on top and then a shrink wrap cover to protect the foil from ripping.... not too pretty but it makes a lot of difference:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Come one people...why don't you put card board in teh windows of your house instead of blinds!

Can you realy not afford a sun screen of 4 bucks, okay so it doesn't fit exactly, but carboard?? Looks like ......

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
[quote:22c09f93ac="nicolaasdb"]Come one people...why don't you put card board in teh windows of your house instead of blinds!

Can you realy not afford a sun screen of 4 bucks, okay so it doesn't fit exactly, but carboard?? Looks like ......[/quote:22c09f93ac]

go find me one for $4 that covers the whole sunroof and blocks 100% of the sunlight.

thanks for the tip, mr. genius!! NOT>>> :roll:

·
Registered
97 Posts
My tint shop is using a full metallic film in the darkest tint. This poses no problems whatsoever and is a simple very effective solution for only $25.00 complete and a half hour time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Family Dollar stores in northern Va have a 2-pack of suncreens with suction cups for $1, almost identical to the ones at Pep Boys for $5. I've had them on my sunroof for 3 weeks now and they work great, fold up into their little bag if you want more sun later in the year.
8)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts