Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Designers:

I have driven my 2008 Element EX 4wd automatic 44k miles. I would be very interested in seeing the next generation improved in the following areas:

1. Add 4 inches to the wheel base and use it to increase the cargo capacity.

2. Lower the roof 2 inches, slope the windshield, round out the front end to get better mileage, target 30 mpg with 4wd.

3. Move the sunroof to the front where I can reach it. Keep it manual to keep the price down.

4. Increase towing capacity to 2,000 - 3,000 pounds. Provide the braking capacity to make this happen.

5. Improve the visibility by narrowing the A-pillar. This blind spot has more than once caused a near collision for me.

6. Offer an option for heated cloth front seats. Add a removable front passenger seat. Improve the quality of the interior plastic for more durability.

7. Keep the flat floor, suicide side doors, removable rear separate seats, and cheap price.

I use my Element for daily driving. I have pulled out the rear seats and installed 2 dog crates, as I haul dogs/guns/gear for dog training, field trials and hunting a few times every week. A few times each year I haul a snowmobile in an enclosed trailer. I previously owned Jeep Grand Cherokees (7 in a row), and finally got tired of the poor gas mileage, depreciation, and lack of cargo space in the latest Grand Cherokee design.
Thank you for considering my list. Tom Stibbe, La Crosse, Wisconsin

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
MAKE IT THE FIRST STANDARD DIESEL IN HONDA'S LINEUP!!! The Element is the perfect platform to introduce the DIESEL in the US!!!!

(Gas being a $3000.-- option!!! :) )

Integrate the paddle shifter option, and LSDs fore and aft for more competent off-roading!! I'll be good with that!!!

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Designers:

I have driven my 2008 Element EX 4wd automatic 44k miles. I would be very interested in seeing the next generation improved in the following areas:

1. Add 4 inches to the wheel base and use it to increase the cargo capacity.

2. Lower the roof 2 inches, slope the windshield, round out the front end to get better mileage, target 30 mpg with 4wd.

3. Move the sunroof to the front where I can reach it. Keep it manual to keep the price down.

4. Increase towing capacity to 2,000 - 3,000 pounds. Provide the braking capacity to make this happen.

5. Improve the visibility by narrowing the A-pillar. This blind spot has more than once caused a near collision for me.

6. Offer an option for heated cloth front seats. Add a removable front passenger seat. Improve the quality of the interior plastic for more durability.

7. Keep the flat floor, suicide side doors, removable rear separate seats, and cheap price.

I use my Element for daily driving. I have pulled out the rear seats and installed 2 dog crates, as I haul dogs/guns/gear for dog training, field trials and hunting a few times every week. A few times each year I haul a snowmobile in an enclosed trailer. I previously owned Jeep Grand Cherokees (7 in a row), and finally got tired of the poor gas mileage, depreciation, and lack of cargo space in the latest Grand Cherokee design.
Thank you for considering my list. Tom Stibbe, La Crosse, Wisconsin

If they did 1/2 of those things the majority of us would not want the E.

I don't want to see it get any longer. it would look like a ford Flex

If the roof was lower it might as well be a Ford Flex.

I like the location of the Sun roof. Bring it back. If they move it up front, it will look like a Ford flex.

I hate cloth seats. We have 2 Elements, and will replace them with Elements if they do not change all that crap.

You should look at the Ford line up! It sounds more like what you want than an Element!

Dom

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
MAKE IT THE FIRST STANDARD DIESEL IN HONDA'S LINEUP!!! The Element is the perfect platform to introduce the DIESEL in the US!!!!

(Gas being a $3000.-- option!!! :) )

Integrate the paddle shifter option, and LSDs fore and aft for more competent off-roading!! I'll be good with that!!!
That would work for me. I don't like the paddle shifters though. An extra level of unnecessary complexity. I like the KISS rule. ( Keep it simple stupid. )

Dom

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
If you want an idea of what the basic Element will be size wise and performance wise... look at the 2010 CR-V. That is what the Element will be based off of, just as the current Element is based off the previous generation CR-V. I can't imagine Honda bringing their diesel to market in the Element if they don't also offer it in the CR-V. I can't see a 6spd Manual either. The MPG will remain what you see the CR-V getting if not a bit worse because if they want to continue the family heritage of the Element that means a more square shape and upright windshield, those are not exactly wind-cheating features.

For me I would like for them to go back to the Elements roots and bring back the rear sunroof, gray plastic panels, keep the seat material as is, bring back some of the original color choices, 6AT/6MT would be nice but I know it won't happen. Keep the 16" wheels, put in true HIDs (don't expect it though). Keep it as plain and simple as possible. Don't bring in heated seats, leather or other crazy options. Leave it as 3 models (LX, EX and SC). Make the panels an option but not a crazy priced option the way the Dog Element is $1,000! lol Make it realistic to the point that people will be able to choose the style they prefer and not have to settle for one or the other.

Power door lock button on BOTH doors! Door handle on the inside of the hatch!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
I'm with Dom and Larry on this. If it's not square, I'm not interested.

The one thing I'd ask Santa Honda for, since it's not owner-modifyable, is a full-size spare tire well. Put a lttle emergency donut in it, sure, but leave room for those who wish to upgrade to a fs spare.

Oh, and bring back MT+4WD, of course!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I agree pretty much with Larry, go back to what the Element really is... don't try and make some kind of Scion-ish kinna thing out of it.

The Element never should have been anything other than the rugged, spartan, utility vehicle that it started out as. Don't transform it into something that it never should have been. Anyone that wants the luxuries - leather, cloth, all the fancy smancy stuff isn't interested in the E to begin with. If they are, well that's what all the custom mods are all about, don't take the fun out of owning this quirky little vehicle. ;-)

Go back to the basics, give us the panels and sunroof of yore, leave the seats and interior alone!

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Something else I left out... bring back the original pricing structure! I paid $18,300 for my 2003 EX-S... that same Element today would cost me $24,595, sure I could probably negotiate that down to $23,000... sorry, but the 2010 Element EX is not worth $5,000 more than my 2003, even with the 5AT and "10 hp additional"...

The biggest problem with ALL manufacturers is they insist on adding more and more crap with each successive year of production. Add a few things, but try and hold the pricing to where it was when you had sales approaching your goal. Get the price closer to $20,000 then $25,000 and you will have more sales. For people who are price shopping they can easily go to a Scion, Kia or some other variant because of price alone. You don't have the market to yourselves and it would be short-sighted or anyone (even us) to think that. Lots of boxy options out there; Scion, Nissan, Kia, Ford, etc. Give people a reason to want to trade-up to the next gen Element. The Honda name alone might not do it for everyone if the rest of the package doesn't offer what many people are looking for.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
The Element never should have been anything other than the rugged, spartan, utility vehicle that it started out as.
Yes, don't give me reasons to look at the competition in this niche - namely, the Ford Transit Connect. Quirky, utilitarian, spartan, butt-ugly... everything the E was in the beginning, just lacking 4WD.

Just sayin'. :|

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
That would work for me. I don't like the paddle shifters though. An extra level of unnecessary complexity. I like the KISS rule. ( Keep it simple stupid. )

Dom
Ok, -- understood.
Are ya gettin' a '42 Willy's Jeep anytime soon? Now that is for the purist!!!

Any black-smith with a sledge hammer and a crow-bar can fix it!

·
Registered
162 Posts

I don't want to see it get any longer. it would look like a ford Flex

If the roof was lower it might as well be a Ford Flex.

I like the location of the Sun roof. Bring it back. If they move it up front, it will look like a Ford flex.

I hate cloth seats. We have 2 Elements, and will replace them with Elements if they do not change all that crap.

You should look at the Ford line up! It sounds more like what you want than an Element!

Dom
DITTO!!!:grin::grin::grin:

·
Registered
997 Posts
Something else I left out... bring back the original pricing structure! I paid $18,300 for my 2003 EX-S... that same Element today would cost me $24,595,
According to the inflation calculator: http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi
What cost $18300 in 2003 would cost $21378.95 in 2008

not quite to the $24,595 but closer (and the calculator only goes to 2008 ) especially when you add in extra standard features. The car companies have spoiled us with safety and convenience features that most won't want to give up and will make it tough for them to scale back prices. Remember hand crank windows?

being responsible for the design of the next Element is not a job I'd want. No matter what they are going to make some people mad and let down others. We've talked a fair amount about it here, how do you update a vehicle thats main strength is practicality? Its not like most cars where you give it a swoop here on the body or a crease there to change the look.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Short term owner

I just acquired my '08 SC in August of this year. So, I am a newbie...
I'm pleased with my "E" thus far. The biggest adjustment for me is the fuel mileage after driving Civics ('92 VX & '00 EX) for the last 17 years.

If I were to ask for any 2nd gen changes they would be:
1) Slight increase in fuel economy - certainly that can be done.
2) Power lock buttons on both front doors
3) Power Up & Down windows in the rear doors.

To date, I've been please with everything else.
I, too, think the dimensions should remain at or near where they are today. I like the overall compactness of the footprint and all the room that I have witin that footprint.

It will be interesting to see what Honda eventually offers up.....

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I would like to see the 2nd gen Element based on the Pilot chassis myself. The Pilot isn't that much bigger but it has far more rugged under pinnings.
Have the four cylinder standard and the V6 optional.
Keep it square.
Keep the flat floor, rugged seats and plastic inside.
Bring back the unpainted panels and sunroof outside.
Give it a swing away spare tire carrier with full size spare and turn the spare tire well into a lockable storage area.
Optional third row seating would be nice but not necessary.
Add another set of mounting tabs for another roof rack crossbar in the rear, they are way too close now.
Most important of all, bring back Galapagos Green Metallic!:grin:

Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Would it be possible to have one big sliding door (like a van) on each side instead of the clamshell doors? I'd like to see that, but maybe it's not possible for structural reasons.

Also, I'm satisfied with the gas milage on the highway, but my gas milage in town is just terrible. The difference between highway/town mph is greater for the Element than for any car I've ever owned. For that reason, I wonder if it would be possible for the next Element to be a plug-in hybrid that used mostly the electric motor for low speed, in town use.

How about a greater spread between the roof rack bars?

Two more inches of clearance and two less inches of roof height.

Finally get rid of the those tire pressure monitors. What a useless, pain in the butt, expense! Use the savings to have a full sized spare instead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Overall there isn't too much I would change form my 09 EX 4wd. I really wanted it in a stick but couldn't locate one. Wish Honda would keep the manuals but I also understand them ditching them in the states. Anyway the one thing that would get me to sell mine and buy a new one and get very excited is DIESEL!

Otherwise the other features I may want to change are all encompassed in the CRV. IE: seats 5 or better mpg or quieter ride etc...

So in the end I guess I want that awesome 2.2 turbo diesel the Euro boys get!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd love to see little things like...

•Auto Lock doors when you accelerate
•Full featured dashboard trip computer(temp, compass, time, average mph, mpg, etc...)
•Locks front doors and inside back hatch
•Handle on the inside of the back hatch
•I wouldnt mind a slightly wider wheel base, dunno about longer
•Power open rear hatch
•Sealed floor with small front/rear drain openings(closable)
•2 standard front power plugs
•Lumbar support driver/passanger
•Standard 17" on EX and up :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Keep it Simple

Keep it simple and stick to the basic ideas of the Element- Boxy, economical, utility, etc. The Element just works.

Some of the things I really like:

Boxy shape-it makes it really roomy inside. I love the interior headroom.

Plastic floor-man this is easy to clean. In town, carpets in. Camping, carpet out.

Seat four. Please no seats 8 or something. If you need to seat 8 buy a Pilot or Oddessy. Keep that roomy rear seat area and dont cheunch everything up by adding more.

Multifunctional seats-I love and use the bed feature all the time. Way better than pitching a tent for just one night. I also like being able to take them out with a flat deck underneath. And the seats are easy to clean too.

Sunroof in rear. Again, if you ever sleep in it and stare at the stars it is cool.

It is that simple utility that makes it so darn cool.

But if they start adding all sorts of stuff it will get worse. Update it but do not redefine it.

4 regular doors, I could live with. A 6 speed transmission, thats cool.

Leather, third row seats, lower clearance, lower height, and more gizmos make it a CRV or worse...... a Scion.

·
Registered
873 Posts
A WARRANTY then after that,more hp,better mpg, turbo deisel(high performance type) fix the rear suspention.keep the rear seats like they are but make the rear seats slide also. a ex header that is desigined & made corectly, an exhaust that is sized for the engine (2" not 1 11/16) lay back the windsheild about 3", add frount spoiler/air dam.soffen up front springs&struts a little.wire for brake controler(electric brakes, plug in modual & go)trayler lightswiring.add clearance at fuell tank.better doors & panels that dont rattel like heck with stereo.good center console w/drink holders,beter storeage, lower price.beter tires, nitro burrning hemi!!!!& flames,oops almost for got the most Importaint thing bring back cargo kahki !!!and a warranty with dealers that will do work under warranty that is covered by warranty like most other dealers(ford,chrysler,gm,toyota,mitsubishi, etc.) I know that a warranty on a car might be hard to do,but it can and has been done before. at 48 years old I have bought no less than 6 new vehicles all with factory warranty !!! but my honda isant in that list(warranty but nothing will be done under warranty)I gess thats just a paper warranty.or a bumper to bumper warranty,everything outside my bumpers that honda didnt make.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts