Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last couple weeks I have been hearing a noise every time I go over bumps that sounds like any minute the doors on the passenger side are going to open. My husband and I have checked the doors a couple times and they are closed properly. I have my 3000 mile check up this Saturday, so I'll report it to the service department, but was wondering if anyone else had this issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same problem and reported it to the dealer as well. They contacted Honda and the best they could tell was that the door seals needed to break in a bit and it would go away. I did notice a fair amount of "New Car Goo" around all the seals and the door to car sealing surfaces that I cleaned up to a mirror finish. The squeaking stopped when I did this. Maybe it was a combination of the two, I don't know. But it did go away.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have this problem, too. Please keep us posted! Seals break in??? Mine didn't make any noise til about 1500 miles. It only seems to be getting worse. You just wiped out the "new car goo?"

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess what I meant by NCG was you know how when you wash your car and do not wipe out the hambs and sills on the inside, you get stuff in there. And, when new, you get that cosmolene (spell???) stuff that they use to protect the paint and it dripped onto the inside surfaces of the jambs, etc. I washed, cleaned and then waxed all of those surfaces and then Back to Black the rubber and no more squeeks. Don't know if this is the best way but it did work for me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
almost 13,000 mi and left rear passenger door still thunks. not sure the "break-in" excuse holds up. must admit I haven't gone back to dealer since new, hate to give up my E for even one day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My driver's side door area started rattling after 2,000 miles. I don't see this improving with time. Please keep us posted!

:shock: Ed

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I go Saturday, I'll let you know what my dealership gives as the reason for the noise. I almost hate to tell them about the noise because most service guys think to themselves, "Another woman with a noise she 'thinks' she hears....", but it is getting worse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
From what my dealership said is that the side doors have no adjustments and that's why Honda said it had to be the seals. But, they did admit that this is new to them as well so they are watching it closely.

·
Registered
82 Posts
From the other Element site
http://www.hondaelement.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2457

B Pillar Rattle Fix
One rattle is the Seat Belt Height Adjuster. The "carrier" slides in a track and is a bit loose, allowing side-to-side movement. The fix: 1. pry off the height adjuster cover 2. Remove the 13mm seat belt bolt 3. remove the two 10mm adjuster track bolts 4. remove the upper bolt & slide off the carrier (a detent ball will fall out, so grap it) 5. Remove the two thin felt strips that Honda has applied and replace with meduium thickness (about 1/8") sticky back felt. This closes the gap and prevents the carrier from rattling.

The second problem is at the upper B-pillar laych assembly. If you pry off the ceiling cover (above the B pillar), you will find that the door shifts anout 1/8" on hard bumps. Honda has placed some plastic guides and rubber "bump stops" in the latch assembly but excessive movement will strike metal to metal. There is room for a narrow strip of the same 1/8" adhesive felt to cushion the latch movement. It has really quieted the clunking although not completely eliminated on really big bumps? Perhaps a dealer latch adjustment would help but my dealer said the nosie was the seat belt and he was not able to deal with it?

I personally have not looked at this yet but I will.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't have a rattle but something a little more interesting. I have 18,000 km (about 12000 miles) on my Element and the door gasket on the back door on the drivers side is almost completely worn away. I took it into my dealer when I returned from my trip from Hamilton Ontario to Calgary Alberta (8000 km round trip) and they have ordered a new gasket that is being replaced on Tuesday.

My dealer has advised Honda and the are going to monitoring this on my Element.

Is anyone else having this problem?

By the way, the Element ran great the entire trip. Two weeks and 8000km. Never missed a beat.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apparently my RR (right rear I guess)door was out of adjustment. They adjusted my door and lubricated the latches. I did not hear that noise once on the way home. It's interesting to note though, the guy who gave me my receipt said they've had alot of these problems.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Isn't it odd that BASHEIII can go to a dealer and be told that "that the side doors have no adjustments and that's why Honda said it had to be the seals."

Then kdianes can go to their dealer and "Apparently my RR (right rear I guess)door was out of adjustment. They adjusted my door and lubricated the latches. I did not hear that noise once on the way home. It's interesting to note though, the guy who gave me my receipt said they've had alot of these problems."

I never can understand how different dealers has such different information about the same model car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree, it is very odd. The Element is new for everyone though, and I'm willing to go with the flow a little, provided I feel safe driving my vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts