Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have no clue about the engine or what this could possibly be but: When I am hard on the gas for a little while or have just been driving for a while I smell this horrible sulfur or rotten eggs smell coming from my car. I could be at a red light with my foot on the brake or just getting out of my car after driving for a while and it definetly is coming from the car. Its seems to be coming from both sides so sometimes passengers mention it to me. You can never smell it in the car unless the windows are open. What could this possibly be?

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It was me!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
How many miles are on your E? I have seen (or smelled) bad converter's give a bad sulfur or rotting egg smell.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
There is probably something in the engine that is not working properly and the cat is working overtime to clean up the emissions or the cat is failing. Ether way its a good thing to have it looked at before it gets expensive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car has about 88,000 miles on it. And I always get oil changes when it is time to and take very good care of the car. Should I just take it to the mechanic and just explain the situation and maybe tell them to look at the cat? Im poisitive its not the gas because me and the two other people I live with all get gas from the same gas stations and they dont have this smell problem I have.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Like I said. Good thing to go and get it checked. In the 70s when I was a retail mechanic there was a commercial from Fram that said a lot. You can pay me now or pay me later a lot more. Meaning something that can be small now might be a lot worse later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts