Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another relaxing summer car-camping with my Element. I was lucky enough to get in six weeks flyfishing out west. Basically, I drove from St. Louis to southern Utah and then fished my way up to Yellowstone before hitting Colorado on the way home. The sleeping platform was perfect again and, as usual, people were always curious about the Element. It's great to see how many E's are out on the road being used to get out and be active. Attached are a few pix from the trip. Here's a link to a Shutterfly album of more selections along with other Element trips I've taken: http://etrips.shutterfly.com/

As always, thanks to everybody on this forum for their help over the years. Enjoy, Kluffer

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Looks like a great trip. Thanks for the pics.

I love my platform very comfortable for sleeping.

Gaily

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pictures. The album is really great!:)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Your photos remind me of the Laurentian Mountains, where we vacation almost yearly!

This is the first summer we haven't taken a true "road-trip" in our Element (we flew to Disney World as our summer vacation...definitely no complaints!)... we missed it!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Kluffer:

I'd like to take a road trip to many of these same areas you did...

I live in central Illinois - what roads did you travel and how long did it take?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2kirks,

I'm not sure which roads you want to know about. It was a 6-7 week trip and covered from southern Utah to Yellowstone NP. From STL I can get about 1000 miles in a long day of driving. If I taget Northern New Mexico that means I head down I-44 to I-40 and wake up just west of Tucumcari, N.M. For central Utah, I get on I-70 and can be near Glenwood Springs the first night. If I want to get to Northern Utah, I take 70 to KC and then shoot up to I-90 to cross Neb. I can be in Eastern WY that night.

That's how I get out to the beautiful stuff. From then on, most of my miles are on secondary roads. Let me now which particular area you're interested in and I'll tell you the smaller roads I use. Wherever you go will make for an amazing trip in your E.

Kluffer

·
Registered
132 Posts
would it be "safe" to head that way during the winter months or should i save heading west for warmer months?

my trip won't be nearly as long as yours, but i figure i'll have at least 10 days to go roundtrip.

i've never taken a real road trip, so i'm willing to take any suggestions you may have. all i care to accomplish is to see some great scenery!

i can't make up my mind where i should plan to lodge... do you find random hotels or do you sleep in the element?

thanks for your help. i'm excited to begin planning!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2KS, Unless you're used to driving in snow and freezing temps, I'd wait for the spring or summer. One campground near Bryce Canyon said it was -60 wind chill in January. The west can get nasty quick when you're at elevation. Call me a wimp but I prefer the summer and the dry heat. Maybe the Smokies would be a better place this time of year. When I'm staying somewhere I tent. When I'm enroute and trying to make time I sleep in the E. Hotels are great for getting all cleaned up after roughing it for awhile. Enjoy your research--it's half the fun. The EOC is a good place to start. Here's a site that will lead you to some great scenic roads: http://www.byways.org/ I hope this helps! Kluffer

·
Registered
510 Posts
Looks like sasquach was standing behind you... I see his shaddow... be more careful next time, sasquach is not one to be taken lightly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MSB: I'll check the dimensions when I get a chance tomorrow. It is wide enough that I can place it in the middle of my rack and then access it from either side. That's why I got the model that opens on both sides. I'll try and post the measurements tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts