Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the weekend preparing for our trip.

We'll leave tomorrow, take plenty of pics, drive slow and enjoy everything the great state of Texas has to offer.

Starting out at the east coast, driving all the way west to the panhandle.

Pictures soon!

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
262 Posts
Have a great trip and make it fun every day. I'm envious of your adventure.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I'm ready to post the pics and tell the tales!:-D

We traveled 1,740 miles....1 state!......6 campgrounds and 1 RV park.

Hardly any cell or internet reception the entire trip.:-(

Took mostly back roads and had a BLAST! The ONLY way to see TEXAS is the back roads and all the little bitty towns nestled in between miles and miles of beautiful scenery.

Things about the trip I didn't like;
The Texas State Parks reservation system:x
Horseflies
Scorpions
West Texas heat
West Texas thunderstorms

The things I liked.
The scenery
Bison and Longhorns
West Texas dry heat
West Texas thunderstorms
Windmills, both the old ones that pump water and the new ones that generate electricity--dotted all over the western landscape.
The PEOPLE!:)

We met so many people on our travels. As normal, we had waves, smiles, thumbs up's, nods and points. People followed us into rest stops and gas stations, all wanting to see the little teardrop camper. We gave SO many tours I lost count! Met a lot of people in the campgrounds.

First stop was Mother Neff SP.
We didn't know that Mother Neff, was devastated by a flood in the spring. We just pulled in because it was on the way.
The headquarters, bathrooms, structures, damaged. The trees were snapped off, 20 feet high! picnic tables scattered throughout the woods.
During the evening when we sitting around the fire, a HUGE branch fell off a nearby tree, and scared the Beejeezers out of us!

We thought we were the only ones in the park, but there was a tenter on the other side, so pretty much we were alone.
It cost us all of $9 for the day/night!:)

FIRST PIC---STARTING OFF AT THE COAST!:-D
The following pictures show the damage done by the flood at Mother Neff.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More at Mother Neff.

Tank poops in my pretty picture:x

The cave is an indian cave they found 2 skeletons in.
The roof of the cave was covered in blobs of hairy fur.
Guess what it was!?:?

Thousands of Daddy Long leg SPIDERS!:shock:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We were having to much fun driving and arrived at Palo Duro a day early and had to stay at a nearby RV park for the night.
Across from us was a motorhome with a Element:)

Arrive at Palo Duro!:grin:
Setting up camp.
Our campsite was set up right in front of a canyon wall with a trail right down to the river.

Views of the canyon from the campground.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At Palo Duro they have Outdoor Musical Theater production of "TEXAS".
They use a canyon wall as a backdrop.

During the show, every night at 9:36 a huge bolt of lightening comes down and strikes a tree with an explosion that reverberates across the entire canyon, and it scares the crap out of you every night.

The Eple across from us, gave us their tickets to the show after their friend suffered a diabetic seizure. They were with the "Good Sam's Club" so we had to sit with their group and made a few more new friends.

The parents of Tanks friend he brought home, doggy sat him for the evening, and they had more fun with him:)

They did not allow pictures of the show so I grabbed some off the web to show you.
It was SPECTACULAR!

Shooting, horses galloping across the set, carriages, wagons, praire fires, thunderstorms and fire works!8)

At the bottom picture at the beginning of the show, a rider gallops across the rim carrying a Texas flag, it is called the Rider on the Rim.
http://www.texas-show.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After we left Palo Duro we stopped at nearby Caprock Canyons SP.
Unfortunately there was a severe thunderstorm that night that lasted 4 hours!--from 9:00pm till 1:00am.:twisted:

It hailed and I made Mr. Jojo drive Sunny up under the picnic table pavilion. I was worried the hail would break the plastic on the teardrop roof vent, but fortunately it didn't hail long and there wasn't any damage.

We lost power in the park and it did not return the next day. I had to take a shower in the dark:shock:
we were going to spend 2 days there, but left early due to no power.

In Caprock you cannot take a camper into the canyon because the road is too steep so the trailer spaces are on top.

The 3rd pic is a sleepy little town. No CARS! it was high noon when we stopped at the grocery store for re-supplies.

The 4th pic is an old man at another town.
He's never seen a teardrop and he never seen an Element and he's never seen a car painted ORANGE! He said that orange was the most beautiful color on a car he had ever seen:grin:

Will those clouds make [email protected]:shock:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.