Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the car like this, it's a great car.

So far, I did do the heat gun trick and it worked nicely but only lasted a month. This is the only panel on the car like this. I have not seen another element like this so I figured I'd ask you folks if you have any ideas. I would like to bring it back and the color last more than a month. Oh, and hopefully the solution is inexpensive.

I appreciate your help.

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,128 Posts
If all else fails you could paint the front bumper.

I didn't paint my front bumper, but I did paint my roof panels (which looked almost as bad as yours) with Duplicolor Trim and Bumper paint in the Dark Charcoal color and in an aerosol can. It turned out very well and didn't cost much. I did it like 2 1/2 months ago; still looks great. Here's the link:

https://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1683877#post1683877

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,699 Posts
Appears too far gone to save with any magic plastic treatment.

A spray on bed liner might be better. You can have that fascia off in 20 mins.

This way they or you won't have to spend time masking. Oh, and do all the panels.

https://linex.com/bedliners

·
Registered
116 Posts
I use Armor ALL Protectant to keep them from fading and cracking. That front bumper looks like bleach stains on a color shirt, might be too far gone but i'd still give the ArmorALL Protectant wipes a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, and for showing pics of the success you had. I'm really excited to do something about it now. I'm going to clean the front really well, mask the rest off and spray something on. Seems like the easiest way to go. Now I have options, THANK YOU!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Plasti-dip spray is amazing stuff. So easy to apply. But it doesn't last long and does fade/peel. I've heard good things about the Duplicolor Trim paint. Does anyone know how long this lasts? Does it require an adhesion promoter to be applied first like Bulldog?

·
Registered
8 Posts
just tried WAB tire dressing from highwayshine.com.plastic looked terrible 2 coats wiped on and they look like new.been through 2 rains and still looking.worked on tires too.comes in a large spray bottle.not cheap at about $16,00 plus shipping but seems worth the money.I was getting ready to paint when I talked to another E owner in campground.he said he has been using it for a long time.3 weeks and 2 rains still looking good.hope this helps

·
Registered
11 Posts
just tried WAB tire dressing from highwayshine.com.plastic looked terrible 2 coats wiped on and they look like new.been through 2 rains and still looking.worked on tires too.comes in a large spray bottle.not cheap at about $16,00 plus shipping but seems worth the money.I was getting ready to paint when I talked to another E owner in campground.he said he has been using it for a long time.3 weeks and 2 rains still looking good.hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
(Stealing my post from another thread, I feel like this post is gonna get some mileage.)

I actually just tackled this problem myself, however my plastic looked much worse. Best solution I've found is a 50/50 mix of paint thinner and boiled linseed oil. I just put it in a plastic water bottle and shake it well. Apply then wipe and the excess off with a micro fiber. It's cheap and easy to reapply as needed and is holding up great so far. Be sure to throw away your rags after use as they are extremely flammable.

Before:

Half:

Full:

Back / half:

A few days later after some light rain:

Your milage may vary but this is a good solution in my opinion, and cheap enough to reapply every once in a while if needed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
(Stealing my post from another thread, I feel like this post is gonna get some mileage.)

I actually just tackled this problem myself, however my plastic looked much worse. Best solution I've found is a 50/50 mix of paint thinner and boiled linseed oil. I just put it in a plastic water bottle and shake it well. Apply then wipe and the excess off with a micro fiber. It's cheap and easy to reapply as needed and is holding up great so far. Be sure to throw away your rags after use as they are extremely flammable.

Before:
View attachment 205462

Half:
View attachment 205463

Full:
View attachment 205464

Back / half:
View attachment 205465

A few days later after some light rain:
View attachment 205466
Your milage may vary but this is a good solution in my opinion, and cheap enough to reapply every once in a while if needed.

Looks good, though not a permanent solution.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts