Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 9' surfboard and i'm wondering if the roof rack and/or surf attachment will hold the board in place or if it will flop/wiggle/take the E airborne? in short, is the roof rack spaced too close together?

i'm hesitant to get the roof rack and am thinking i should just let the back end stick out the sunroof instead...anyone tried strapping a long board on the rack? :?:

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have a long board and it wasn't a problem for me.

Just put the skags up and in the back (contrary to the honda accessory photo) and make sure you cinch it down well.

The space between the two mounting points is sufficient to keep it from chattering at high speeds.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wahoo!

thanks for the tip! didn't want to be the first to try it and then have the board fly out the back!

·
Registered
914 Posts
It also depends on the length of your tank. You got a 9 footer so thats not too bad, i think the racks are okay. Right now im using a pair of soft-racks so its a little harder to space it for longer boards. I've had an 11', 10', and 9' all strapped to my E (all at once on a couple of occasions too) and it was fine after I made a couple of adjustments. The longer the board, the more space you want between the racks, otherwise the board bounces at higher speeds.

As for putting the skegs in the back, its all preference i guess. I thought it might have something to do with the aerodynamics of the board on the car, but too each his own I guess. I usually put the fin in the front because it has more weight and is less likely to blow up and off the rack.

Whatever you do, just strap it down tight enough.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a soft rack that i used with my civic and was thinking of using them, but the E is so damn tall that i can't reach! only 5'2". i was worried about the honda rack because they seemed spaced so close together. with the soft racks i could place it at the back of the rear doors and just above the visor in the front. it seems like it would give me more separation.

so i'm thinking of sticking the fin out the sun/moon roof. but how do i strap it down on the inside??

·
Registered
914 Posts
For an 11' tank, I had to put the straps of the softrack all the way at the front of the drivers side door, and all the way at the back of the passenger side door. Try standing on the inside of the car when strapping down onto the racks. I just toss my racks over, then secure inside; put on my board, then climb up to strap it across, or I get someone else to give me a hand. You should always surf in partners, for safety and convenience. Also so that you have someone to talk to between sets.

Anyway, if you are going to stick it out the sunroof, i think you could either hold it down with ratchet straps around the seats, or maybe bungee to the hidden hooks in the back. What about sticking it out the back of the tailgate?

If you're surfing on your own, the 9' would easily slide all the way inside too. Put down your seats on one side and slide the board all the way through to the front. I've done it with my 10' so I know a 9 would fit. If you have two people, you can always stack the boards on top of eachother and have the second person sit behind you (better on short trips only though). I went with the soft racks because they were a hell of a lot cheaper ($12 compared to $200 or so) and factory racks are never as good as the expensive ones, in my opinion anyway. Plus, with soft racks, you can always take it off easily and have your that "non-rack" look again so simply. If you plan on using the rack for things other than surfboards, then its good, but the soft racks are good enough, for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts