Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leave a reply with the work you've done by yourself on the E.

Here's my list:

- driver side power lock
- rear brakes
- rear struts
- rear sway bar links
- rear sway bar bushings
- front struts
- washer fluid pump (twice - those things are pretty frail)
- oil changes
- A/T fluid change
- diff fluid change
- air and cabin filters

The only things I've hired out so far are the front brakes (I still lived in an apt at the time) and I'm about to have a shop replace the lower control arm compliance bushings. I just don't have the tools required to press those suckers out of the arm and then get the new ones back in.

On a related note - has anyone else who lives in a big northern city, where the potholes are plentiful, noticed that their suspension is pretty much trash after 65k miles? And no, I don't drive like a jerk - I live in Chicago and the potholes have become unavoidable on some streets the last few years. I was just surprised that a Honda product needed so many new parts so quickly. I expected that they would have engineered an SUV to handle some rough roads.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i live in a big southern city (well, not currently, but my E spent her first four years in charlotte) with absolutely horrendous road surfaces. potholes the size of nebraska, broken expansion joints, etc etc etc.

i think my suspension is fine! @ 107K.

that being said, im utterly useless at any maintenance. that may be unseemly to some folks, but im more apt to eff something up than fix it, and cause more problems, so i leave the E to the dealer.

im capable of oil changes, brake changes, and various other bits of maintenance (i drove an off-road Rover for years, and we had to fix stuff in the field often, because many rover owners are drunk or stupid or crazy or all of the above), but i need to not break this car.

:D

oh wait! i changed out my wiper blades once i think.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I've done the following:

-replace battery with RoadRunner 34/78 Monster Battery
-front brake pads & rotors
-rear brake pads & rotors
-change headlight bulbs
-change oil
-change air filter to K&N
-change cabin air filters
-fix rear lower gate sliding gap cover (I kinda broke it...)

Other work I've done that doesn't really fall into maintenance:
-changing tires and rims several times
-design & construct DIY "Ghetto Fabulous" roof rack 1.0 and 2.0
-DIY Dog Platform
-install Curt Class III trailer hitch
-Infinity 6022si Speakers
-Shen's Side Marker Turn Signals
-Leather shift boot
-RoadRunner 34/78 Monster Battery
-Home Depot Grill
-install & wire custom fog lights

Probably a lot of other stuff too that I can't think of at the moment.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
oil & filter changes
trans fluid changes
coolant changes
front & rear pads / rotors
brake fluid flush
driver's window regulator
serpentine drive belt
power steering fluid change
odometer light bulbs
new spark plugs
rotate tires
lubricate all door rubber gaskets
lube all door hinges
add windshiled washer fluid
air filter
cabin air filters
replaced battery

+something else I can't remember

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have only changed the differential fluid but I'm planning on doing the power steering fluid soon along with some upgrades. I'm new to cars but all the information on this forum really helps.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've changed the headlights.

About as often as I've put gas in it. I've learned OEM bulbs are just fine and last about 10x longer than the Silverstars :rolleyes:

For me, it's been headlights, oil changes, oil filter changes and cabin air filter changes. I have to admit, I've been lazy as hell with the air filter changes since I can't seem to pick them up locally. I've been meaning to do a transmission fluid switch as well. I'll also have no issue with coolant flush/fill, but it's not been needed yet.

I'm amazed at how well the brakes hold out. I'm willing to change them myself, but at this point they are giving zero indication of needing replacement. Neither getting soft, noisy.. nothing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
oil/filter
air filter
trans fluid
rear diff fluid
coolant
cabin filter
spark plugs
front brakes
front rotors
rear brakes
tailights
taillight assembly
headlight
dashboard light
radio

www.youtube.com/ajchien

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Oil changes and both air filters. Rear Diff fluid. Tires. Installed Fogs with a DRL kit to the fogs. LEDs outside with a LED flasher and cabin LEDS. Installed the roof rack and just installed a U haul hitch and wiring harness. Changed the bumper molding to black. About to change the brakes and rotors and do a 6 speed mod. Somedays I go nuts on the and do the maintenance and detail it out and other days. Ehh.. Let the dealor change the oil.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Fluid checks.
Tire rotation.
Oil & oil filter change.
Air filter.
Cabin filters.
Shin Etsu the door seals.
Grease door hinges.
Brake service including runout and parallelism checks.
Brake fluid flush.
Power steering fluid flush.
Clutch fluid flush (not sure why we don't see more folks addressing this--it's the same DOT 3 as the brakes and suffers from almost the same contamination).
MTF change.
Coolant flush.

Not service, but installed factory fog lights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts