Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty lost when it comes to suspension on cars.

I wanted to replace the stock suspension for a number of reasons.

1: I tow a motorcycle and I wanted something like a progressive rate spring for the rear or something to stiffen the ride when I tow.
2: I was also thinking about lowering the front maybe an inch, just enough to give it a bit more of an aggressive stance.
3: I have about 135k on my E so its about time to replace the stock stuff

I have read a bit about the tein products and KSport stuff. I am kinda lost still as to what I should be looking for. Most those products seem to be geared toward more "racing" or sport tuning.

any thoughts about products or other directions?

also, has anyone else had issues with what I believe to be the shock tower squeaking, especially when the car is cold?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am not sure on this...but I think eibach is the only spring manufacturer that is offering a progressive spring rate. probably the mildest drop also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there a better way to set up the car for what I need? or is progressive rate springs in the rear the way to go?

·
Registered
562 Posts
you can search to find more. but in a nutshell...

so far you have just a few options:

k-sport and tein coilovers. both in the 1k range. these will give you the most adjustment and let you set everything where you want it. k-sport allowing you to adjust ride height and damper settings. tein basics just allow height, but you can change springs and send the dampers back for rebuild to be matched to the springs.

as for springs you have eibach, tein, h&R, blah blah and will need to be paired with one of two options....monroe shocks or kyb gr2 shocks. eibach is the only progressive I know about....its nice but just gives you two spring rates, the spring is wound so that you get a plusher ride on half and a stiffer ride on the other half. so you can obtain a stiffer setup while not giving up the ride as much....but I think for a non sc element you are looking at a 2" to 2.5" drop.

another option would be to buy oem quick struts for around 600-900 online from honda for an SC and you would get your 1" drop with an increased spring rate. and an oem setup.

I am sure there is more info but this should get you started. If you want to go real crazy you can get rsx dc5 and civic ep3 stuff to fit with a lot of headache and work, though you are getting highly custom and experimental at this point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the k-sport option I could set it up pretty much any way I want. soften the ride when Im not towing and stiffen it when I am?

is that about right?

·
Registered
562 Posts
its the most adjustable option yes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i just put teins in that i bought off chickenball...and gotta say the ride is alot stiffer and less forgiving but all in all the way it corners and handles during regular driving is great....its probably a 2.5 drop all around...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts