• Get something other than an Element

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2006 EX 2WD Element (209K miles, 75K of them from me in last 3 years) apparently needs new rear struts and has cracking in the bushings on the rear trailing arms.

I was told the rear trailing arms would cost $1000 each side just for the parts in order to replace the bushings, or I could get used ones from a 100K Element for $1450 all-in with labor and rebalancing.

The struts are another $1000, incl labor for the two of them.

Should I:
- Get a new garage (any suggestions in bay area/peninsula/south?)
- Get a lower mileage Element
- Get something other than the Element (a Pilot? a Kia Soul?) and put up with our inability to carry back drywall and 2x4s from Home Depot or with a Pilot, ever to find the car in the parking lot again.
- Just suck it up and pay

My husband is concerned that "the price of Element parts is rising because they don't make them any more and these parts are going to become more and more expensive and the repairs less and less affordable". How bad is that part of the situation?

Thanks

Grace

·
Registered
48 Posts
You could do your own research for the cost of parts thru Rockauto, hondaautomotiveparts and even local auto parts stores. Quality parts do cost more and sometime honda parts are worth the extra expense. Parts for out of production vehicles are no more than others. Those prices seem high to me, I'd get a second opinion at another garage.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's a tough call, I have spent thousands on fixing suspension issues. I have decided I plan on keeping my E for a while. I own my E and justify my expenses in that I don't have a car payment. I am also loyal to the E. To a lot of people, however, the money I have put into my E does't make sense. I recently spent over $2000 having my E's front suspension overhauled at the local Honda dealership. New struts, new, ball joints, new compliance bushings. I did my rear suspension about two years ago including the trailing arms. Right now my E runs awesome and I am happy but it it has been a process. Some people simply trade in the E when maintenance gets too costly for them, but others on our forum are in the 200,000 - 400,000 mile range, and still going strong. I would pass on putting used suspension parts on your Honda, considering the labor costs, I don't think it is worth the risk.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's a tough call, I have spent thousands on fixing suspension issues. I have decided I plan on keeping my E for a while. I own my E and justify my expenses in that I don't have a car payment. I am also loyal to the E. To a lot of people, however, the money I have put into my E does't make sense. I recently spent over $2000 having my E's front suspension overhauled at the local Honda dealership. New struts, new, ball joints, new compliance bushings. I did my rear suspension about two years ago including the trailing arms. Right now my E runs awesome and I am happy but it it has been a process. Some people simply trade in the E when maintenance gets too costly for them, but others on our forum are in the 200,000 - 400,000 mile range, and still going strong. I would pass on putting used suspension parts on your Honda, considering the labor costs, I don't think it is worth the risk.
"If I only knew I would be keeping my Element this long, I would have taken better care of it...." Me

231k on the Chassis now, and I've spent tons of money rebuilding the entire suspension over the past few years, and have learned the hard ( expensive ) way, that I should have used Genuine Honda suspension parts once, instead of after market parts twice ( at least). And right now my Monroe Quick Struts up front are junk after less than 2 years and 20k miles. Going to spend the money and buy Honda assemblies this time. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ive done the 'loaded' struts...kinda want to take them off and try for a refund on that 'lifetime' warranty.
About to drop 800 on oem struts for the Mdx.
Even having a Honda only shop do the struts on the element was only going to be 900ish, with oem parts.
Your shop is trying to take you for a ride.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I agree with AWD . For one, I dont want or can justify a $ 600.00 plus a month car payment for 4 years on a used 3-4 year old car with 50,000 miles on it.( Pilot or 4 Runner) So if I have to invest $ 500.00 - 600.00 now and again, it's what I will do. I do like these cars, for me it's a perfect vehicle. It amazes people with all the stuff I get in the back ( my seats are out). Hand tools, saws, lumber, you name it.
As for the prices that people get for repairs, I guess thats about the way it is these days. I live in a fairly rural area, an hour or so to the nearest Honda dealer. My local mechanic is good, and we are pretty good friends, and he charges around $70.00 and hour. Not sure what Honda dealers charge, but it has to be similar.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Trailing arms for 1K a pop is too much. They can be had mailorder for $645 https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~arm~52370-scv-a00.html. Quality aftermarket trailing arm bushings can be had for much less than that, do a search on this site, plenty has been written about it.

OEM struts are $273 https://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda/Parts-List.aspx?year=21&product=15&door=3&grade=473&transmission=5&area=2&section=6&assembly=11111, it's hard for me to see how a shop can tack on $450 worth of labor to swap them out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trying another garage! Thanks for your votes

Thanks for all the votes and comments. Labor is expensive in the SF bay area, $125/hr in the next place i am trying but I think this shop is a bit more Honda-heavy so they may "work smarter". And I am hopeful that they might be a more reasonable option.

The encouragement to "keep going" with the 208K car rather than plumping down another $10K for an 80K car is helpful too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for all the votes and comments. Labor is expensive in the SF bay area, $125/hr in the next place i am trying but I think this shop is a bit more Honda-heavy so they may "work smarter". And I am hopeful that they might be a more reasonable option.

The encouragement to "keep going" with the 208K car rather than plumping down another $10K for an 80K car is helpful too.
Since youve mentioned where you are, my answer changes.
Cant imagine what shop rent is there lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm in the process of doing exactly those two things. Trailing arms and rear struts. I rebuilt both rear suspension for $180 with genuine Honda parts, reusing the springs and mounts, ordered from Majestic Honda. I just rented a spring compressor from local auto parts store. After some cleaning it looks exactly like the new assembly you'd get for almost $300 each.

I also got trailing arm bushings for both sides for $95 from Majestic Honda. You don't even need the expensive special tools for the job. There are tons of videos on YouTube to do this. Get your husband to get some tools and a floor jack to fix everything for less than $300 in parts. All you need is to get it aligned afterwards. I guess that'll be about $2600 saved.

I can tell you the exact parts you'll need to rebuild the rear suspension. The springs are so tiny for the rear shocks it's not even dangerous for a first timer to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
Baker7
Honda Element Owners Club
Element Owners Club is your go to forum community to discuss your Honda Element, and get ideas from your next great trip to your next Honda Element Mod.
Full Forum Listing