Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2009 SC and the ride seems bouncy. I'm not sure if everyone has the same problem. I hope I don't have to purchase brand new suspension just to get rid of the bouncy ride. If I'm driving roughly 65+ mph and hit a small pot holes, I feel that the one of the tire is off the ground. I tried taking corners but once I feel the car start to bounce, I let off the gas. Anyways let me know if you have similar problem and how did you fix it.

thanks

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Its normal, but dont let off the gas in corners, it will be fine. I have autocrossed mine and I drive like a mad man on ohio's great roads.

·
Registered
125 Posts
When I bought my SC I expected the ride to be a bit harsher than the average Element. The suspension sets the car's ground clearance an inch lower than normal and the larger wheels / lower profile tires don't absorb road inconsistencies as well.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yoda: you are correct, the fronts are about 30# more and the backs are 15# more

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the information guys. I guess I just need clarification before I go out and start looking for a better suspension.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Its normal, but dont let off the gas in corners
That seems a bit too general, staying on the gas at the wrong times can get you in trouble. The key to speed is to be as smooth as possible. Not entering a corner too quickly is more important than exist speed. If you enter a corner cleanly and properly, chances are you will exit quickly. Enter a corner too fast, you'll be trying too hard and too many things to not miss the apex and end up being sloppy. Focus on nailing the entry and the rest will follow.

Golden rule in performance driving: Never abruptly increase power or take away speed. Be smooth.

And more specific to the bouncing, it's a sign of a mismatch in damping rate of the shocks to the springs. Manufacturers tend to use shocks with higher rebound damping rate than what is called for in order to induce understeer (and more sluggish handling) in the name of safety and to keep the lawyers at bay. The average driver can't handle a car with sharp handling.

If you change the shocks to something that is more sports oriented, they will be able to react quicker to compression and decompression of the springs and provide a more responsive handling experience.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
/\/\/\ correct to a point, but you also have to understand throttle control, you can be on the gas through a corner if the vehicle can take it. The speed limit is 60, your going 65 and a corner is coming up that says 55 in yellow(recommended), do you let off or slightly stay on/off the gas or just stay at 65. If you know your car, and you know the road, you will most likely stay at 65, not drop down to 45 just because it feels wierd. Also, there are some turns that you can lighlt tap the throttle to keep up speed.

Learn your car, the best way is to take a day a hit some country roads or go take a drivers course at your nearest track day.

·
Registered
114 Posts
/\/\/\ correct to a point, but you also have to understand throttle control, you can be on the gas through a corner if the vehicle can take it. The speed limit is 60, your going 65 and a corner is coming up that says 55 in yellow(recommended), do you let off or slightly stay on/off the gas or just stay at 65. If you know your car, and you know the road, you will most likely stay at 65, not drop down to 45 just because it feels wierd. Also, there are some turns that you can lighlt tap the throttle to keep up speed.

Learn your car, the best way is to take a day a hit some country roads or go take a drivers course at your nearest track day.

Yup, but I wouldn't "tap" the throttle unless you've got a manual and you're down-shifting and need to match revs. In all other instances tapping the throttle would be considered abrupt application of power. I'd feather it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
/\/\/\ agreed: feather is a great word that I couldnt think of. Mine is a manusl so I can agree.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts