Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealers here (St. Louis) are practically giving away auto-4x4 EX's ($1300 under invoice), obviously because they aren't selling. Having driven one, I now understand why. Which leads me to ask...

Has anybody considered what it would take to retrofit the 5-speed into an A/T E? In other vehicles the transmission choice dictates a lot of "fiddly bits", such as dash clusters and steering columns. I've noticed that the E has all the transmission bits entirely in the center piece that pokes through the console. Other than the possibility of the drivetrain computer being different and installing the clutch pedal and linkages, once you locate a suitable transmission (from a wrecked E or CRV), what else is in the way of doing this?

I'm a mechanic and would do the work myself, but without an E in my driveway yet and a service manual on the shelf, some help determining the feasibility of this would be appreciated.

:)

·
Registered
914 Posts
Why aren't they selling? Does it suck to drive? Is there no power in the auto?

Don't know myself. Test-drove the 5 spd and bought a 5 spd. Maybe thats why people have been complaining about the power? They all have AT. My 5 spd has plenty enough power for me.

Oh, by the way, will your E by Yellow to continue the generations?

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup. I test drove the 4x4/auto and was... well... underwhelmed. The various reviews I've read on the E have consistently confirmed that just this drivetrain combo was an underachiever.

I'd love a yellow E, but given that's not a choice it's pretty much looking like anything but black.

:(

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have an ex auto and I feel it has plenty of power. more than any other vehicle i have owned!! more than the v6 ford explorer that i traded in!!

the e could easily beat the explorer in a race!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I drove both the 5 spd and the auto, the 5 spd is geared lower so has better "punch" but the auto does not appear to be a slouch either. I put a K&N air filter on and removed the extra horn at the end of the air system, have much better throttle response, I'd say on par with the 5 spd I drove plus revs 500 less at 75-80mph. I bought my E for $20,000 (then added $4000 worth of options), I was on my way by a dealer out of town just to look at the shoreline mist with no intention to buy that day... the dealer said what would it take and I said that one for $20k... he complained but took the deal after he figured I'd walk out.

Right now I would think that 2003's would be discounted as who wants a 2003 when you can wait one month for a 2004 and save a years worth of depreciation.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>Right now I would think that 2003's would be discounted

Bingo. That's why I'm asking - one local dealer is advertising 4x4/auto EX's for $2500 off MSRP, but there's not a 4x4/5-speed EX in sight, anywhere. So it's either consider my silly plan or wait until after December.

I really did find the 4x4/auto to be a slug. It scared the %$#@ out of me when I tried to merge into freeway traffic from a short onramp.

:shock:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I really did find the 4x4/auto to be a slug. It scared the %$#@ out of me when I tried to merge into freeway traffic from a short onramp.
You haven't merged until you have tried to merge in my town. Most of the drivers here came from toronto and drive like freaks. ( :shock: did I say that out loud? ) If the see a signal the speed up, or if they are merging behind you they will pass you on the right to cut you off. (no sh*t happen almost every morning)

I drive a 4x4 auto, manual is not avialable here, and I hav no trouble. I was driving a v8 dodge prior to my element and I do not miss the power. I am not just towing the line here because I have an auto, it really does move when I want it to. The drivers here are very aggressive and if your car snoozes you lose.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I live in So CA, near the gawdawful LA freeways, and when you want to merge, you WANT TO MERGE!! I have no problem merging, nor keeping up with the 80+ mph people who overlook the speedlimit signs. My automatic fwd axcells quite nicely, tank you beddy much! It's the damn gas mileage that bugs me!!! whether I do stop and go around town, or (just this past weekend)make a 250 mile trip to Vegas using the desert freeways (level) and the cruise set at 71, I get almost the same mileage! And that mileage is LOW! NEVER got over 21 ANYWHERE! Bugs the Bejeebus outa me!!

Ger

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nitrous will solve that problem :D :D

But on another note, you will need:

New ECU (manual transmission ECU)
Transmission
Gauge Cluster
Shift Linkage
more assorted wiring things, etc.

I talked this over with my del Sol's race mechanic, and he said it's cheaper to trade in my auto than it is to swap, since you have to look specifically for a wrecked 4x4 5-speed Element/CRV. I am just going to wait, add a supercharger, intake, headers, exhaust, and then when my transmission decides to go bye bye, either send it to Level 10 to get it reworked or find a way to make the K20 RSX-R six-speed work with RT4WD.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Experience with mileage: up here in new england it is now cooler so no more ac is required, just ran my first tank with no ac, i drive at 75mph on the highway, good mix city / highway driving got 22.3mpg, best ever was keeping it at 65mph (during break in), got 24.2mpg... moral is if you step on it or drive over 65mph this long stroke 2.4L engine will eat gas... on the flip side, my experimental "aggressive" tank, stepping on it whenever, 80mph, etc, i still got 21mpg! So go figure 21-24mpg is ok by me.

Regarding MORE POWER CAPTAIN, I'm a fan of more hp is better, my other vehicle option was a new dodge pickup with the hemi v8 - wasn't out in april :( when my bmw blew its motor... I have to disagree with the "slug" view, ANY honda auto 4 cylinder will drive differently then its 5 spd. cousin, that is the nature of reving higher with the 5spd vs. the tendancy of letting it shift lower in a auto, I think if you look at the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times of an auto vs. 5 spd E they are pretty similar. That does NOT address the fact that the auto feels great when you first get on it then runs out of umph around 3500, at 4500 it feels flat for sure unless you shift and take advantage of the low end torque it generates. I'm waiting for the K&N Typhoon CAI to come out next month so a comparison can be done with the Injen CAI. Cold air induction seems to be an easy way to get their low end "bump" of 8-12hp from 3000-4500rpm (perfect!). It is a bonus you can get this with the stock exhaust set up, although a free flow resonator / muffler would give you another 3-4hp at least. For those not wanting to void their warranty, the K&N filter for the stock box and removing the horn is an alternative, I figure I get another 2-3hp but more important is the better throttle response, when i step on it, it reacts instantly vs. the slight lag with a stock filter. You can argue the whole oil/dust theory by using a K&N but that has not been my experience or K&N's (or their millions of users). The supercharger, turbo alternative sounds interesting too but if i was going to spend another $4000 on a car I would not have bought an E so that defeats the purpose for me at least...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Do you attribute the higher mileage to the CAI? Wondering what you got before the CAI just for the heck of it.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:mrgreen:

...it turns out my inquiry was moot, anyway. For starters, after seeing through the sales BS tap-dance, the local dealer who was quoting the great price turned out to be quoting on a 2WD and not an AWD. I just hate that.

And I've already found a local dealer who has two AWD/5-sp./EX's on the ship list for next month. Too bad that they're GGM and SOP; when it comes down to it I'd rather have SSM or SMM. My color preference seems to be a stronger player in my mind than trim level... and DX's I can find. One dealer has a NBP/EX in stock, but no black, thankyouverymuch. Not during our summers. :(

·
Registered
245 Posts
[quote:6940f5ccb7="sspiller"]Do you attribute the higher mileage to the CAI? Wondering what you got before the CAI just for the heck of it.[/quote:6940f5ccb7]

I've done 2 things to my wife's E that I think make a difference in gas milage....the CAI is one and the other is disabling the AC from the defroster....the 5speed also makes it possible to shift from 3rd to 5th and from a start from 2nd to 4th w/out compromising performance or doing any damage to the vehicle.....that is what I call having "total control" of the vehicle...

With an automatic, all you can do is press the gas and press the brake....you can't let the engine rpms slow you down enough that you don't have to apply the brakes, which in the long run = replacing them sooner than those of the standard transmission....not to mention later on you have to change the tranny fluid well the list goes on, but I'm not trashing the automatic E's, I'm pointing out the benefits of having a standard transmission that suit me and my wife....which is what we should look into before we go out and get a vehicle, not what I or anyone else says..just you "THE DRIVER"... :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've done 2 things to my wife's E that I think make a difference in gas milage....the other is disabling the AC from the defroster....
Please elaborate in layman's terms - both the method and the reason behind doing it...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I believe somewhere I have read that 90% of America buys automatics. Where as in Europe it's the opposite. A quote from Edmonds "There are some great benefits from automatics, Generally speaking, vehicles with automatics are easier to find and hold their value better. Vehicles with stick shifts are generally about $700 cheaper."

So if Honda follows the trend and builds 90% auto E's then you'll find a bunch sitting on the lot.

·
Registered
245 Posts
[quote:eb393f3f4b="hijax2001"]
I've done 2 things to my wife's E that I think make a difference in gas milage....the other is disabling the AC from the defroster....
Please elaborate in layman's terms - both the method and the reason behind doing it...[/quote:eb393f3f4b]

Hi hija....here is the thread and all the responses I got when I posted it....http://elementownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2647

but in layman's terms....with climate control the AC kicks on whenever the defroster (front) is ON....so why not dissable it so that when "you want to" you can turn on the AC with the defroster or just have warm air...read on...and make your own decision on the matter...both my cars are now climate controled by "me".... :D ..hey I forgot to mention this but I had to search out this same thread at the delaer's the other day so he can now tell the ppl who want to do this...imagine them apples.... :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts