Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody post pics of the 52611-SCV-A02 strut
and the SC's 52611-SCV-A91 rear strut for comparison?
In a side-by-side manner, or with 2 different pics that have a ruler or something for scale.
I'm hoping that the lower-eyelet to spring-perch distance is the same, and that the difference is the stroke/shock-body-length/valving and why they are different part numbers. I'm hoping that the lowering was not accopmlished on the SC by lowering the spring perch. That would result in a super low setup on my Element, and the CV shafts would pop out of socket.
NOT FUN.

I have Tien lowering springs on my 2003 AWD EX and I want to try some struts that have been designed to be paired with a lowered setup.

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Really? Has no one attempted this? If you have tried... what made it not work? Direction of the coil? Perch location? Top/Bottom bolt?

Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am trying to swap in some SC suspension bits as well (f&r sway) and trying to get comparison shots from owners. everything takes a while on this forum because email notifications are off by default so it doesn't drive users back when subscribed threads have activity.

on civic or accord forums with emails on by default and you would have an answer in a few minutes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couldn't wait.

Bought factory replacements.
They have a stamp that reads 52611-SCV.
The perch can be removed by simply turning the assembly upside-down and giving the perch a tap. The shock body has 3 evenly spaced bumps where the perch rests.
Given the ambigous part # stamp, I tend to think the same shockbody is used for the 52611-SCV-A02 (non SC) and the SC's (52611-SCV-A91).

When I swap my originals for the replacements Thursday, I will see if they differ in any way whatsoever.

If this is true that the perches are the only difference, you kids with the SC can save some money on rear shocks by saving your perches and buying the less expensive 52611-SCV-A02; as they are each roughly $15 cheaper.

I guess I really wont know if they are the same shock body until an SC owner posts pics (with ruler/measure). I'll post my pics as soon as I am able.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I never got the pitures I was looking for either so I just bought the sways not knowing if they would fit and installed them....happy I did.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's cool.
I did that quite a bit with my 5th Gen Civic.
The only 'hybrid' fitment I have done on the Element are the upper spring mounts on the rear. The stocks are rubber and squished down rather quickly.
I used Energy Suspension Urethane replacements for an Accord. I can't remember from what generation. (I did this back in 2005)

I'm trying to limit the amount of cash I spend on the Element, as I sunk about $9K into my Civic over the past 15 years or so.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Its always fun to find factory goodies that aren't intended for a particular car but work and make it better.

I had an 03 accord sedan v6 with the coupe HFP suspension and TL sway bars.
I pretty much always get bigger/better OEM honda acura wheels as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Swap comlete

Here is a pic of the original shock and perch and the OEM replacement shock and perch. They are exactly the same except for the color of the cap. I guess gold is played out, so the new ones are chrome. I pushed the rod down on the old one to show that it was truly blown.
If an SC owner can post a pic with measurements of their rear shock with the perch removed, we can see if it would be cheaper to order non-SC shocks and just reuse their stock spring perches.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Rear Suspension

Is it possible to use REAR SC Springs on REAR EX 2004 Struts?

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Is it possible to use REAR SC Springs on REAR EX 2004 Struts?
Yes, just realize that the SC springs are about an inch shorter than the OEM
EX springs. You will have to change the fronts as well. For the fronts, you
will have to change the entire assembly as after 07, the fronts changed.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,623 Posts
Update to this old thread!

In my search for rear struts, my local dealership located a pair of rear SC struts 52611-SCV-A91. They appear dimensionally the same as EX/LX. Hope this helps folks looking to interchange between the 3 model levels.

I'm hoping the SC struts will have tighter dampening and help with the rocking horse effect.

Update: Installed the SC struts, the actual travel of the shaft is about 1/4 inch shorter. Everything bolted up just fine, it actually fits better because I did not have to pry down to get the bottom bolt in. Ride height is the same.
Wow does it ride better! Way less rocking effect from the rear. Too bad these are discontinued from Honda, and there are no aftermarket replacements.
For those with an SC the ex/lx struts will bolt in. Might not ride as good as new but better than blown out struts.

Compare to the pics above.
strut re.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts