Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 E with just under 70,000 miles started to develop creaking noises coming from the front end when driving.

I had a small local garage look at it and they indicated I needed the sway bar end links and the Upper Passenger Front Strut Mount replaced. They quoted me a price of $300 parts and labour before taxes.

I called a local parts store and was given the following prices for parts:

upper strut mount $60

sway bar end links $55 each (high end) $25 each (cheaper brand)

What do you guys think? Have the garage do the work or buy the parts and do it myself? How difficult is it to do the jobs listed. Any good step by step instructions on the net? I don't have a shop manual.

BTW I have a garage, jack stands, compressor, air gun, basic tools and have done some basic work myself on the E such as oil/filter change, rear diff fluid change, Uhaul hitch install, brake pad replacement and brake caliper replacement.

Thanks

·
Registered
834 Posts
Creaking noise, most likely from your strut mount...witch side? you probably just need one side... sway bar links don't make creaking noise. Eliminate that, do the Top Mount first and save your $$$.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Creaking noise, most likely from your strut mount...witch side? you probably just need one side... sway bar links don't make creaking noise. Eliminate that, do the Top Mount first and save your $$$.

Yes just need one side replaced, the passsenger side

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a spring compressor, too?
No spring compressor. Is it required to change the strut mount? How difficult would this job be.

I might just get the shop to do the R/R upper strut mount and I do the sway bar end link R/R

·
12,179 Posts
No spring compressor. Is it required to change the strut mount? How difficult would this job be.

I might just get the shop to do the R/R upper strut mount and I do the sway bar end link R/R

If you don't have a shop manual or a proper spring compressor i would suggest you get a shop to do it or someone to give you a hand. Spring disassembly is not something to mess around with.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you don't have a shop manual or a proper spring compressor i would suggest you get a shop to do it or someone to give you a hand. Spring disassembly is not something to mess around with.
This.

If I were to go about it (I'm assuming the E's have a Macphearson strut setup):

Jack car up, place on jack stands.
Remove wheel.
Remove 3 bolts holding upper strut mount (usually under the hood on the strut tower). Leave one nut threaded so the strut doesn't drop out after the next step.
Use chalk/whiteout to index the position of the two lower strut bots (I'm assuming the E has adjustable camber with these bolts).
Remove the bracket holding the ABS wire in place. Then, remove lower bolts, and the strut assembly should come out.
At your workbench, first compress your spring (you rented your spring compressor, right?) and then remove the top nut and any washers on the strut shaft. Your mount is off...put new one on.
Installation is the same as removal. Put your strut bolts in at the same spots you removed them (that's why you put that line there...now you don't have alignment issues).

Another possibility is to buy a "Quick Strut"...a fully assembled strut and they're usually around $100-$150.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Thanks for all the feed back.

I just took it into the shop and they replaced the right upper strut mount for $130 parts and labour ($145 taxes in)

I was going to change the sway bar end links myself but probably wont bother as all the creaking noise is now gone.

Thanks again

·
Registered
834 Posts
Thanks for all the feed back.

I just took it into the shop and they replaced the right upper strut mount for $130 parts and labour ($145 taxes in)

I was going to change the sway bar end links myself but probably wont bother as all the creaking noise is now gone.

Thanks again
that's Good News!!, and glad to know your back to fun drive again. ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts