Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When picking my Black Element from the dealer, the finish looked good where they had it ready for me to view, parked in the shade. It was waxed and did lokk okay at the time.

Apparently, they did a poor job of waxing the car since there are some obvious swirls or buffer marks visible, when the car is in direct sunlight.

What is the best method to remove these buffer marks?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
When picking my Black Element from the dealer, the finish looked good where they had it ready for me to view, parked in the shade. It was waxed and did lokk okay at the time.

Apparently, they did a poor job of waxing the car since there are some obvious swirls or buffer marks visible, when the car is in direct sunlight.

What is the best method to remove these buffer marks?
Well if it looks like actual trail marks from a rotary buffer,then I would simply suggest having it rebuffed/detailed by an experienced detailer. One who is experienced can easily use the proper machine/pad/product/technique to take care of those issues...not just cover them up.:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Well if it looks like actual trail marks from a rotary buffer,then I would simply suggest having it rebuffed/detailed by an experienced detailer. One who is experienced can easily use the proper machine/pad/product/technique to take care of those issues...not just cover them up.:cool:
Eww, that's good advice!

Not that this needs to be said again, but if you are ever tempted to use that brush at the carwash that you can make spew soap, to wash and scrub the paint on your car DON'T! I see people doing this and just cringe! I'd bet that more swirl marks are created by washing improperly than people operating buffers. Never ceases to amaze me how bad people treat their cars!:-(

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
The best way is to take it back to the dealer. In case they damaged the paint during dealer prep, they should see it and take care of it - not you.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Swirls come from poor washing tech. or going to the tunnel washwers.

They can be taken out by hand but your going to get a work out......As previously suggested I'd take it back and have them fix it, or have them reimburse you the cost of taking it to a real detailer. I personally would fight for the second......they've already proven they couldn't do the job the first time.

Clay bar as suggested above will not take care of scratches/swirls only contaminants in the paint.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Had these on my 09 too, am thinking there was some sort of an incident at the factory. My was the same in the shade looks great in the sun OMG what is that? Took it back to the dealer showed them and said "I want to know what happened to my E and I want another one".

They fixed it and gave me some goodies as well. Seems tracking it back the "fix" was done at the factory not in dealer prep.

Take it back to the dealer and tell them it is unacceptable and push hard.....see what they do.

Good luck!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Swirl & buffer marks

I bought and used the 3M Cleaner Polish, as recommended by one of my friends and it did remove some minor scratches and the buffer marks that were probably left by the dealer when detailing the vehicle.

I did not want to bring the car back to the dealer for this as I do not trust their work, rather do it myself! They would probably cause another problem.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Swirl marks are caused by improper washing with dirty sponge, rag, wash-mit, towel or improper use of a buffer. 99% of swirl marks are caused by dirt. As for it being a defect from the factory that is highly unlikely... the cars are inspected before they leave and wouldn't pass inspection. Then they are ship to the dealer and when the cars come off the truck they are wrapped in a protective plastic to prevent scratches, acid rain etc. The issues is they sit in the lot for long periods of time and get moved around. The dealer washes them and most of the time they use dirty supplies. To fight against this some dealers have installed brush-less car wash machines but then get dried by hand with dirty or hard towels. Not the detailer's fault most of the time. The problem is that they use old washer machines that don't clean the towels correctly. Most towels are hard and abrasive which will scratch your car and appear as swirls pattern. :| The best way to prevent swirls is to have clean gear before you start. If you drop your wash-mit on the ground be sure to dunk it back into the bucket of soap and rinse it off or just plain get another one.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Has anyone asked Chief (Darth Raider)...?

He's "THE MAN" when it comes to this Rickcin... Shoot him a PM...

Luckily for me, I don't have the problem on the hood but I do have some rough spots/no swirl marks on my roof... The rear portion where it is flat with no grooves... Just washed the Lunch Box yesterday and noticed them when I was slapping on some of that new Meguiar's NXT Tech 2.0 wax... The wax went on easily (I'm used to Daniel-san stuff) and then came off great too... What I really love about this new wax is that it smells GREAT... No lie...!

Made me want to wax other stuff just to keep smelling the stuff... Hell, I did my roof rack as well...! LOL!!!

Keep up the good fight buddy...
LBD

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Lwc has the tool you need to do the job properly for sale for short money.

Dom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts