Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... last year I got myself an '08 EX AT Element, and kept my '04 EX MT around for a while just to make sure the "new" one wasn't a lemon.
One of my first disappointments was finding out the sun visors on the '08 didn't have the extensions on them.
I drive VERY long distances for work, and the extensions have proven very useful for those hours driving straight towards the rising or setting sun.

I'm thinking of selling my '04 now, and finally decided I'll try to switch the sun visors around, and since I couldn't quite find a how-to here, I figured I'd post something about it. I didn't take photos as I was working, but I'll add a link to a video that pretty much sums it up.

The video is for not for an E, but it's exactly the same:

Turns out it's a super easy job:
- Get a flathead screwdriver.
- Lower visor and push towards windshield.
- Poke flathead into the slit in the cover on the mounting bracket. GENTLY pry the cover off. It's easy. When it's off on one half, work the other.
- Then move the visor to wherever you need so you can remove the cover.
- Use the flathead to remove the two bolts holding the visor on. I found it easiest to do what the guy does in the video... first push the visor towards the windshield to get clear access to and remove the bolt closer to you. Then swing the visor around towards the side window so you can support it on your shoulder or hold it easier with your one hand while unscrewing the other bolt. Done.

If you're replacing it with an identical part, just reverse the steps. Easy peasy.

In my case, I was putting the '08 visors in my '04, and vice versa. This is when I encountered a couple of differences between the models that I hadn't taken the time to notice before...

1. The mounting brackets on the '04 visors is larger, and so is the cover. The bolt holes, however, still align perfectly on the '08. The bolts themselves are identical across the two model years.
2. The '04 visors are slightly longer (I think), and are entirely flat. Whereas the '08 visors have a curve in them that allows them to fit into the contours of the roof's interior.

#2 meant that the '04 visors did not fold away completely flush in the '08 (see pictures). The size difference also meant the extensions could not be extended out when the visors were pushed all the way towards the windshield, as the roof design got in the way. I'm keeping them installed for now, to try it out and see how it works.

·
Registered
2010 EX AWD Omni Blue
316 Posts
I own a 2006 and 2010 and have noticed the 10 does not have the extentions. My 06 is my daily and have noticed I use the extensions many times. I have always thought the Element was about good ideas but discontinuing the extensions was not. Anyway thanks for the well thought out post...It was very informative.

See you on the highway.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Slide On Rod Sunvisor vs Sunvisor with Extender

Hello! It just so happens that I was the program manager at JCI for the sunvisor at the launch of the Element. We had to do a lot of work on the extender in the Element Visor as it was the largest one we'd ever done. Biggest challenge was engineering it so that it was possible to insert it but not pull it out (sat in a lot of meetings with Honda where they passed around visors and tried their best to pull them out). Dan Pletcher was the engineer on the visor and I thought we did a pretty good job. Honda de-sourced us after a few years to go with a less expensive competitors model that features a Slide On Rod Visor (the entire visor slides in the same direction as the previous Extender did - just grab the visor and slide it). I never did a side window coverage comparison so I don't know if the slide on rod visor has the same amount of travel as the Extendor did.
I know own a 2007 Element and I know I'm biased but I like the extendor version of the visor better and it sounds like some others do as well!

·
Registered
2010 EX AWD Omni Blue
316 Posts
Thanks VinceB for answering many questions about the Element sun visor. Talk about hearing it from the horse's mouth... Crazy. Thanks for chiming in VinceB.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Vince!
Never realized the newer visors can slide. Gonna have to test that out in the morning. Though "cheaper" makes me feel like it's not a part I'd want to mess with too much.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thanks Vince!
Never realized the newer visors can slide. Gonna have to test that out in the morning. Though "cheaper" makes me feel like it's not a part I'd want to mess with too much.
If you own an 04' they don't slide.

BTW Vince, the folks at Honda making these decisions, are they the same ones that thought discontinuing the Element was a great idea?!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Slide On Rod Sunvisor vs Sunvisor with Extender

Hello! It just so happens that I was the program manager at JCI for the sunvisor at the launch of the Element. We had to do a lot of work on the extender in the Element Visor as it was the largest one we'd ever done. Biggest challenge was engineering it so that it was possible to insert it but not pull it out (sat in a lot of meetings with Honda where they passed around visors and tried their best to pull them out). Dan Pletcher was the engineer on the visor and I thought we did a pretty good job. Honda de-sourced us after a few years to go with a less expensive competitors model that features a Slide On Rod Visor (the entire visor slides in the same direction as the previous Extender did - just grab the visor and slide it). I never did a side window coverage comparison so I don't know if the slide on rod visor has the same amount of travel as the Extendor did.
I know own a 2007 Element and I know I'm biased but I like the extendor version of the visor better and it sounds like some others do as well!
Help! My 2007 gray sun visors are quickly disintegrating and I need to replace them asap for not a to of money. Yes, the ones I have extend but not far enough for me. Wish they had somehow created a telescoping rod to allow for more reach. Anyway - can you help me find some?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Help! My 2007 gray sun visors are quickly disintegrating and I need to replace them asap for not a to of money. Yes, the ones I have extend but not far enough for me. Wish they had somehow created a telescoping rod to allow for more reach. Anyway - can you help me find some?
I would suggest going to a salvage yard or check Ebay. I have replaced them before and it was not very labor intensive.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Sorry, since I sold my Element I haven't been on the Forum really. Discontinuing the Element was a compilation of a number of factors from what I've heard. The biggest was that NHTSA side impact requirements were getting tougher and the side doors on the Element were going to require a major re-engineering exercise which was going to cost a lot of money and with Element sales never having been that great, it was a difficult justification. If sales had been higher, then maybe but as it was then, it just didn't make financial sense (they'd never recoup the $$).

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,872 Posts
Gee, my 2008 Element doesn't have a tinted windshield strip like the OPs. I applied an aftermarket one to my '04, and am thinking of paying to have one applied when the pitted OEM windshield is replaced. In the meantime I wear sunglasses.

The slide on rod design doesn't work nearly as well as the extender version for driving toward the sun unless the road is straight. It's also harder to adjust.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,872 Posts
Sorry, since I sold my Element I haven't been on the Forum really. Discontinuing the Element was a compilation of a number of factors from what I've heard. The biggest was that NHTSA side impact requirements were getting tougher and the side doors on the Element were going to require a major re-engineering exercise which was going to cost a lot of money and with Element sales never having been that great, it was a difficult justification. If sales had been higher, then maybe but as it was then, it just didn't make financial sense (they'd never recoup the $$).
IMO it was to use the Ohio plant to produce more of another model for the US market, one with a higher profit margin.
Honda continued to produce other models -in their other factories- models with far lower unit sales but bigger unit profit margins- after dropping the Element.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts