Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you all been following the 2009 International Meet Thread? I have been following this. As T Mac states below, there will not be a mega-meet in a single location in 2009. T Mac has set the date. See his post below:

Official 2009 Combo Meet Dates and Info
The Official 2009 EOC/ROC/CRVOC/ODYOC combo meet weekend is June 26, 27, 28.

There will not be one super mega-meet in a single location this year. Instead, we want to have multiple, large, regional meets all over the United States and Canada. So, it won't be our biggest combo meet in one location, but this will end up being our biggest overall attendance meet(s) ever.

Who's running the regional meets?
Answer: You are.

More details coming soon.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51470

It looks like we may have a series of regional meets on the dates listed above. I hope that So Cal will get one of the regional meets. I think that it will be important to have successful early 2009 meets and a Spring 2009 Meet to show T Mac that So Cal is worthy of a regional meet!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I for one am very interested in this and can't wait to hear who "the we are" will be and what kind of regional meets they will be putting together.

Regional "meets" are usually one day events - whereas the National Meets are 3 day, week end events.
We're doing these regional meets in luei of the annual National Meet, so I hope that we can follow the National Meet formula and do a huge week end blast instead of a single one day event.

The California coalition will be competeing with all of the other regional EOC meets across the country.

Let's put something together!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Totally awesome, this sounds great. I know the SoCal chapter is strong when it comes to meets. Party time!

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I totally agree with JSmOOth and Miss Ellie & Co, having one of the Regional Meets in SoCal, just makes sense. If we all pull together and rally the Campers and the Cruisers togrther, I really feel that we can pull this thing off!!! ;-)

JSmooth, Jerry at SCA, and I have reached out to the SoCal ROC Chapter, but we have not made any contact with any SoCal CRV members yet.

Chief

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
I for one am very interested in this and can't wait to hear who "the we are" will be and what kind of regional meets they will be putting together.

Regional "meets" are usually one day events - whereas the National Meets are 3 day, week end events.
We're doing these regional meets in luei of the annual National Meet, so I hope that we can follow the National Meet formula and do a huge week end blast instead of a single one day event.

The California coalition will be competeing with all of the other regional EOC meets across the country.

Let's put something together!
I think the we is us. I'd guess TMac is looking for people to step up.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
A SoCal Meet and a NorCal Meet or one great big California meet?

Whatever is decided how will we put it together?
There has to be a process here - right?
Perhaps we could start with a Planning Committee which could have it's first meeting at the next Meet & Eat gathering to get things rolling.
From there we collectively come up with some location ideas and themes.
What I see from T-Mac's post is - these regional meets are three day events so we'll need to have a three day fun agenda and schedualize it accordingly.

Location, Location, Location !!!! We could start with that first.
Lot's of work to do here - we must get started soon!

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
What i would suggest you start with is coming up with some ideas of interesting places to visit. Try and find a smaller town for the hotel that is near 1-3 interesting places to see/visit or somewhere that has a nice drive, cool hiking, camping, kayak/canoe, etc. this is how we've always done the larger meets. Start with something that would be of interest to the greatest number of people, then offer a few options for those that might not be interested in what could be deemed as the "main" interest.

Hope this helps/makes sense. :)

Chief, nice to see you guys putting out a hand to work with the ROC and CRVOC sites. that would be great if you can get everyone together the way we did as the last National Meet. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Some good ideas Larry! Nice info - thanks :)

We could start by throwing out some location suggestions using Larry's criteria.

Anyone got any?

I'd recommend Jet's house - I bet he wouldn't mind 40 - 50 Elements parked on his front lawn for a week end. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
What i would suggest you start with is coming up with some ideas of interesting places to visit. Try and find a smaller town for the hotel that is near 1-3 interesting places to see/visit or somewhere that has a nice drive, cool hiking, camping, kayak/canoe, etc. this is how we've always done the larger meets. Start with something that would be of interest to the greatest number of people, then offer a few options for those that might not be interested in what could be deemed as the "main" interest.

Hope this helps/makes sense. :)

Chief, nice to see you guys putting out a hand to work with the ROC and CRVOC sites. that would be great if you can get everyone together the way we did as the last National Meet. :)
Larry...Thanks for the advice! By the way, "CONGRATULATIONS" on the purchase of your new home, and your forthcoming nuptials!!!I hope that you and Rachel will be extremely happy!!!

Chief

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Following Larry's idea.

Hotels, motels and B&Bs for the crusiers are easy enough to find anywhere in SoCal.
But finding decent campgrounds in the LA area is a tough assignment
There are some OC parks but they are further inland - far from the coast and in late June - they would be too dang hot and smoggy!

Maybe something in Ventura county is worth considering.
Great campgrounds (coastal and lake) plenty of hotels, motels and some of the campgrounds have cabins too.

Ventura is a good location between Malibu/Los Angeles and Santa Barbara.
There's plenty to do and it's location is accessable to everything that SoCal is all about.

Anywho - it's one idea. http://www.family-vacation-getaways-at-los-angeles-theme-parks.com/Ventura-Beach-Camping.html
And there's Santa Barbara too. http://www.sbparks.org/DOCS/Cachuma.html

Let's hear some others!

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Thanks Chief. We're excited about fixing the house up and the upcoming wedding. :)

When planning these larger events you can't try and make everyone happy. The goal should always to make the majority happy and if that doesn't work then make the planners/organizers happy. :D

I would look south of LA, something in between LA and SD so you can get the most people interested. Let the NorCal folks do their own NorCal thing, they will probably just find some beatnik bar and watch someone play the bongos. lol :p

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I would look south of LA, something in between LA and SD so you can get the most people interested. Let the NorCal folks do their own NorCal thing, they will probably just find some beatnik bar and watch someone play the bongos. lol :p
Good idea Larry but there's not as many campgrounds south of LA in the San Diego direction.
It's not completely out of the question but most of them are totally booked up way in advance and they are not the best of campgrounds.
Some don't even have showers.
Worse than that; most of them have earthquaking AMTRAC trains rumbling by every hour on the hour that are guaranteed to keep you awake all night and drive you crazy. :twisted:

Even if you're lucky enough to get into one those campgrounds - it's elbow room only with people stacked up on top of one another.
It's like trying to find a hotel or motel room vacancy in San Diego during the summer. Near impossible and expensive.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I agree with Larry 100%, between "theOC" and San Diego would be perfect, with full access to all of the SoCal attractions!!!

Chief
Why does it take the guy from the RIGHT Coast to help your left coasters plan things? lol :lol:

Obviously I don't know specifics of what's to see or where you can stay...

Looking at a map, I just found a nice big camp site. It's situated between LA and SD, right on the coast. talk with Rocketdog about getting you some camp sites and you'd be all set. the place is called Camp Pendleton, any of you ever stayed there? :D

Ok, seriously how would something like this work for you guys. I've only ever read about the smaller towns south of LA and north of SD. San Juan Capistrano or Oceanside or somewhere similar. Something in that general neighborhood. If you chose somewhere along there for the hotel, then plan a Saturday drive into Mexico could make for a very cool Meet. It would be the first ever truly "International" meet as you'd be crossing the border for a multi-day event and bringing the event with you. I can only guess as to where you can go other than Tujuana but it could make for a fun and interesting day I would think.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Chief - is there anything between the OC and San Diego that isn't 115 degrees in June that has water access?

Larry - I personally love San Diego and could easily spend a weekend there and have oodles of bitchen fun.
Mission Bay, the World Famous San Diego Zoo, Old Town San Diego, Fiesta Island (one huge dog park nirvana)
Coronado Island and the US Navy Naval Station (NAVSTA) San Diego.
Heck - Rocket Dog himself might even want to attend this one. :cool:;-)

But I think I'll be staying north of the border.
They're kidnapping the gringos again. The Mexican drug wars have gone completely out of control and Tujuana is ground zero... aye carumba!

I know of a few campgrounds in the immediate vacinity (very few) and will check them all out.
But it's gotta be coastal or very near to water - nothing else will suffice. :lol:

We must insist on good accomadations for campers and non campers.
The cruisers can book they're posh hotel and motel accomadations and the camping fools can work on finding us decent campground accomadations.
If San Diego doesn't work out we might have to go north.
But I think this a good start.

Does anyone else want to chim in? We need the input. The more the better!
Don't be shy - all of your opinions are important in planning this out.

Let's get it on!

·
Banned
412 Posts
San Onofre

...just south of the nuclear plant. Many, many camping spaces. Coastal cliffs with paths to the beaches. Amtrak trains go by during the day - I love trains. Always wanted to do a big group camp there.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
...just south of the nuclear plant. Many, many camping spaces. Coastal cliffs with paths to the beaches. Amtrak trains go by during the day - I love trains. Always wanted to do a big group camp there.

I've camped there - no shade and never slept a wink. Those trains drove me kuku.
I hated it.
just saying*

However - if you're gonna be there I would go for that reason alone.
I shouldn't want to miss hanging out and having funz with my good buddy Don Ricardo. :cool:

PS: The LA Heidi Montags vs. The Circus Monkeys in the EOC Fantasy Football Championship game this week end? Whoa baby!

1 - 20 of 134 Posts