Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Camp neighbors gave me a tour of theirs a couple years ago. Nice.

But too heavy for the Element and it's much higher than a traditional teardrop so you'd have more wind resistance to contend with.

Given a vehicle with greater tow capacity I'd seriously look at a [email protected] They've been out for a few years now (since '04, I believe) so used ones can now be found for a reasonable price.

There is much to be said for a trailer you can stand up in.

:)

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
The clamshell is better, but 1520 lbs empty doesn't leave me much for all my STUFF:)
Loose some weight by leaving hubby @ home..................backs away slowly

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
The clamshell is better, but 1520 lbs empty doesn't leave me much for all my STUFF:)
OIC. Not being an Element owner myself I always forget about that weight limit being so crazy low. Glad that people are finding ways to get out there with their E's and camping despite it. :) That being said, even though my X can tow 5k lbs, what I'd really like is a silver shadow 6 wide, a [email protected], or some small Boler etc. I love the small size, the ingenuity, and the design of something that is not a big white box. I don't quite get gatting out into nature only to ruin the view with a big white box trailer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ive been looking into a small travel trailer for my E as well. the E has a towing limit of 1500lbs and a carry capacity of 675lbs. according to my honda dealership, those numbers are independent of each other. so what that means to me is that the engine in the E is capable of moving the vehicle with 2175lbs of stuff attached to it/in it/on it.

even if you split it up you can get a trailer with dry weight in the neighborhood of 1500lbs and you can stow all of your gear in the E itself (up to 675lbs including driver/passenger).

is my logic correct here?

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
ive been looking into a small travel trailer for my E as well. the E has a towing limit of 1500lbs and a carry capacity of 675lbs. according to my honda dealership, those numbers are independent of each other. so what that means to me is that the engine in the E is capable of moving the vehicle with 2175lbs of stuff attached to it/in it/on it.

even if you split it up you can get a trailer with dry weight in the neighborhood of 1500lbs and you can stow all of your gear in the E itself (up to 675lbs including driver/passenger).

is my logic correct here?
That'd be fine in Kansas but would make me nervous going up and then down the Rockies.

My teardrop is slowing me down going up Thornton Gap onto Skyline Drive in the Shenandoahs and it weighs around 900 lbs empty. That's with one passenger, a medium-sized dog, one bike, a cooler (the heaviest item other than the teardrop), too many clothes and three canopies.

I'd recommend going as light as possible and not pushing the stated limits.

Another critical factor is wind resistance. The Teardrop & Tiny Trailers forum has some great information on that factor which at higher speeds is a big deal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
while i wouldnt expect my E to drive the same while pulling a large load those are all valid points. seeing as how i am in the middle of a large decision what im going to do with my E, hearing first hand experience from folks who pull trailers is exactly what i need.

thanks.

That'd be fine in Kansas but would make me nervous going up and then down the Rockies.

My teardrop is slowing me down going up Thornton Gap onto Skyline Drive in the Shenandoahs and it weighs around 900 lbs empty. That's with one passenger, a medium-sized dog, one bike, a cooler (the heaviest item other than the teardrop), too many clothes and three canopies.

I'd recommend going as light as possible and not pushing the stated limits.

Another critical factor is wind resistance. The Teardrop & Tiny Trailers forum has some great information on that factor which at higher speeds is a big deal.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts