Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
This - from the TAB site - is very cool.

?
I thought that I would add my experience to this thread. I have pulled a [email protected] trailer [we have the exact trailer/tent setup in the picture] behind my 2008 Element 2WD for the last two summers without any problems. I live in Alberta, Canada and have pulled the [email protected] through the Rocky Mountains without any difficulties.

The [email protected] has a built in surge brake, which is amazing for stopping ability.

We are heading out this weekend on a trip through the Kootenay Pass [highest highway-served pass in Canada that is open year-round]. I will let you know how it pulls.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a quick update. The Element performed beautifully pulling the [email protected] trailer through the mountains. We climbed the Kootenay Pass [1775 m./5823 ft.] at a consistent speed of 80km/hr. The RPMs were between 3500/4000 and the temperature levels did not budge [it was quite warm out as well].

On our travels we climbed 3 more passes that ranged between 1550-1600 m. and had no issues.

It was sometimes tricky to keep the Element from going into overdrive climbing the hills, but I was able to keep it to a minimum.

The gas mileage was mediocre, ranging from 18-20 mpg.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Overdrive

Dear ravensjackson, I know with my E, the manual says to turn off your overdrive when pulling (on any terrain). Its the little button on the gear shift. Is it the same with the 2 wheel drive? Just food for thought. A word from my mechanic: "The transmission isn't going to drop right out as soon as you start towing, you may just have to replace it sooner than others". So that tells me if I get 250k miles out of my E, than I may have to replace my tranny sometime after a hundred k. I pull a 1000# empty teardrop with about 400# pounds of clothes, food, side tents, beer, equipment etc. For me, its worth taking the chance with the tranny. I figure if I baby the E and take care of it otherwise and I keep it forever, I'll spend 4 grand on a new tranny and get another 100K miles out of it. So I still have the vehicle I want and still not sleeping on stumps in the rain when camping!
Thanks for the soapbox. Best, MoonDrop

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am embarrassed to admit that I did not know the OD could be turned off. That would have saved me some grief. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also might want to consider adding a trans cooler to your rig for towing...i've heard they help about a bit too with the longevity of the trans.... food fur thought...

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Also might want to consider adding a trans cooler to your rig for towing...i've heard they help about a bit too with the longevity of the trans.... food fur thought...
The E already has a built in tranny cooler....
but if you want to add another, external one, it wouldn't hurt anything...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just got back from Disney World with the [email protected]

Hi all, picked up the [email protected] as indicated in previous post and left 12/05 for Disney World. Drove from Nashville to Orlando, still working on the numbers but averaged between 11-15 MPG. The [email protected] is a bit heavy in my opinion for a long trip like that but for short camping trips wouldn't hesitate for a second to hook it up and go!:grin:

It was so comfortable and quiet inside, if you folks aren't familiar with Fort Wilderness, it is a constant level of some kind of noise going on. Buses, boat horns from the Marina, Electric Water Pageant. But shut the windows and turn on the Cool Cat Heat Pump for heat or air, you don't her anything.

I will post pictures as soon as I can figure out how.

·
Registered
17 Posts
[email protected] Pictures

Here is the Element and the [email protected] (tentatively named the [email protected]);-) at Fort Wilderness at WDW:

Drivers side view from the rear:

and rear view showing the awning:

and since everyone decorates their campsites for Christmas, at night with the lights on:

the kitchen:

and the table which lets down to a queen size bed when the rear backrest is folded down:

Overall very pleased with the [email protected], although to Element is shall we say 'marginal' towing this, it does well enough to keep the combo for awhile. Just keep the speed down around 65 or less and you can keep the Overdrive on for the most part. Average 10.5 to 15.5 mpg depending on the hills. Let me know if any questions, thanks!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Nice looking rig. I really like the galley area, makes better use of space than our box.

What is the weight of that model? I wish we could tow our trailer over 55 but it's as aerodynamically challenged as a Borg cube and 14-15 mpg is as good as we've got on fairly flat ground. It has been gusty, 20-30 mph, every time we have taken it out though so I can't really complain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Per the manufacturers specs, this model is 1585 dry. This may/may not include the weight of options such as the heat pump (heats and cools), LP tank and battery. I need to get it on the scales and see the actual weight. I towed with the water tank empty and not too much cargo for my trip (bicycle, clothes, etc).

This model is the lightest of the [email protected] If anyone is interested in buying one, they are not currently being manufactured, Thor Industries has stopped making them. So used and remaining dealer stock are the only ones available unless you import from Europe.

Interestingly enough, their are many options available from sources in Europe, US spec [email protected] don't have shocks installed, but all the holes/fittings are there. Per other owners that have installed them, they help keep stuff in the trailer from bouncing around. The [email protected] owners forum on Yahoo has tons of info if anyone is interested.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts