Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to replace driver's tail light (brake light okay). Fillament not burned out, but replaced with LED anyway. Same problem: no tail but brake okay. Reinstalled original same result. Bulb is blackened a bit, tho' brake works.

Wiring visible seems fine. Could it be fuse even tho' passenger's tail/brake works fine?

Unrelated: passenger's map light works 1 out of 50 tries.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,108 Posts
Went to replace driver's tail light (brake light okay). Fillament not burned out, but replaced with LED anyway. Same problem: no tail but brake okay. Reinstalled original same result. Bulb is blackened a bit, tho' brake works.

Wiring visible seems fine. Could it be fuse even tho' passenger's tail/brake works fine?

Unrelated: passenger's map light works 1 out of 50 tries.

Do you have a trailer hitch harness ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... will check.

I vaguely remember (I think) there is a trailer harness when I bought it 3 years ago. I'll check in the morning... but I haven't used it, if I have one.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The other thing is try reversing the LED or try the other tail light bulb. The other thing is could be is a loose connection for that tail light.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aha. Learned a bit and have new problem

Thanks for urging me on. I never imagined that the new LED tail light... the first one I tried wouldn't work!
Found that out when I swapped incandescent bulbs and tried the 2nd LED in package.

On closer inspection, the package had been opened before and the LED that didn't work showed signs of having been messed with. So I'll exchange it now at PepBoys.

Red LED 7443R gives off a nicer red than white bulb which shows slightly orange tinted when installed. Also learned that you have to put LED in right way or brake light wouldn't glow brighter. Thanks to this forum I was aware of that.

NOW THE NEW PROBLEM: One tail light assembly was really stuck and it popped off suddenly... and it dislodged a lens inside the lens!! It will just rattle around in there. I don't have good lighting outside or access to light right now maybe I'll see something in the daylight.

I'll be happy if PepBoys exchanges this for me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lens inside the lens loose now!

The photo illustrates the fact that a round lens inside the lens assembly is now loose to rattle around. It popped loose when I removed the tail light to replace bulb.
Not a big problem but frustrating. Any ideas? :oops:

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Wonder if they can come apart like the headlights and if so you can heat the fixture in a oven at 250 for 10 minuets and the lense should come off. Thats if they use the same glue.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Wonder if they can come apart like the headlights and if so you can heat the fixture in a oven at 250 for 10 minuets and the lense should come off. Thats if they use the same glue.
I'm interested in that too. I'm unhappy with the poor daytime visibility of the E's brake lights and the blockage from that round reflector in the middle is a big part of it. Getting rid of the thing might be enough of a fix but there doesn't seem to be any easy way to get it out of there. I can always add better reflectors somewhere else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oven light

I'll report back if I get the gumption to do the oven thing.

Do you know the kind of glue to use to reseal it if I do get it apart?

Probably won't do it soon, but I'll try to holler at you guys if you don't subscribe to this thread to know of any results or other input.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Yes, I'd love to hear about it. As far as the glue, you'd expect silicone of some sort would be a good choice but who knows. I might be able to find some similar Honda OEM taillights from other models at a junk yard this spring or summer and experiment since the construction should be the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts