Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title sounds so dirty haha. Anyway, I have a 2007 EX-AT with 18000 miles. The tail pipe is vibrating so much when I idle that it is hitting the rear bumper and making this loud "metal hitting plastic rapidly" noise in the cabin. By idle I mean when I am in Drive with my foot on the brake. In park it doesn't seem to vibrate as much. No vibration that I can tell when moving. But honestly you can put your foot lightly on the chrome exhaust tip and it will shake your insides. It is still under warranty and I have made an appointment with the dealership however they can't get me in until next week. It would be nice to know what is going on to be able to tell them in case the problem doesn't duplicate for them when I bring it in. Any ideas or remedies or general "oh you're fusked" comments?

Thanks so much!

- Paul L.
Memphis, TN

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Take the chrome exhaust tip off? Probably weighs too much for the ageing rubber exhaust hangers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine vibrates when the engine is cold. Not enough for it to smack the bottom of the bumper, but I've noticed it shakes a bit more than any of my other cars from the past. No big deal though, it's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
When your idle is low the viberation from the engine will do this on automatics. The pipe is held by rubber mounts with a spike going through it. If its too close to the bumper maybe you can bend the metal piece to lower the tip so it will not hit. On these I do not know what the normal idle is supposed to be whe the car is in drive. Maybe someone else can chime in on that as the RPMs may be a little low.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a 07 EX with 41000 or so on it. My tail pipe rattled frum day 1, not enough to hit the bumper like civic said and if I put my foot on it (the crome piece of the tail pipe)with my transmition in park it stop's and does not rattle me.It does not bother me or my wife so we left it alone. But since you have extremly low milege for a 07 with a warranty take it in and have them look at it ..

·
Registered
2010 Honda Element
195 Posts
Tail Pipe Question (rattle)

since i got my E & actually started going to the woods, which is the only time i really have reason to get out of the vehicle while it's running & go to the rear of it, i noticed sometimes that my tail pipe had a rattle to it. this may not be every time, but definitely many times when i've had the occasion to stand or walk behind the vehicle while on.

is this normal? it's not a HUGE rattle, but enough to make a noise. shouldn't a tail pipe on a new vehicle be totally quiet? i wouldn't expect any noise/vibration unless it was older & heading toward needing a repair. maybe something just wasn't tightened completely, or maybe this is just the way it is...

thought i'd ask in case i should be mentioning this to Honda.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts