Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Group, A while back I got a post about a mechanism that will let you jar your tailgate open for air circulation (good for dogs!) and can't locate the posts or the company that sells the product..can anyone assist me?

Heidi and the Snowpawpass girls (3 Berners)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think if you drive with the tailgate ajar you are asking for your dogs to be inhaling exhaust gas.:shock:

( I have a female Berner :-D)

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
I hope you meant keeping the liftgate ajar while the vehicle is parked, not in motion. As Wilyumm (and your owner's manual) points out, driving with the gate open allows exhaust gases into the passenger compartment.

A slightly opened liftgate probably won't do much for air circulation and would certainly compromise security. You'll get more benefit from leaving the side windows open (admittedly they don't open much). Even cracking the front windows will help with heat dissipation, but if you plan to leave the dogs unattended, even for short time, consider putting Reflextix in the windows to keep the sun out.

If you filled in your profile, we'd know whether you have a skylight. Removing the skylight completely will do the most to allow air to circulate and heat to escape.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Vent lock was it!! I think it may work. .thanks and to those that thought I would drive that way, it was only for while the car is stationary. :)
Heidi

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I thought this thread was going to be about building a bar with a bottle opener in the E. :-(

I want my click back. :cry:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wonder...

... if a little fan from a hatch cover on a sail boat could be fitted to the partial skylight in order to increase air circulation in the back for my pooches. I just posted on the "slippery tailgate" post that I was headed to West Marine for non-slip tape. Now I'll have to scout out a little 12V fan as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah its the vent lock. This product works great when the car is STOPPED, I got the 12 inch model. That size allows the tailgate to be opened enough but still not enough for someone to reach inside.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Marine vent

... if a little fan from a hatch cover on a sail boat could be fitted to the partial skylight in order to increase air circulation in the back for my pooches. I just posted on the "slippery tailgate" post that I was headed to West Marine for non-slip tape. Now I'll have to scout out a little 12V fan as well.
That's a great idea!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts