Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased the tailgate cabana, if so, does it have a solid bottom or does it just hang off the back of the E. For example, keep bugs and other animals out if camping out.

Thanks
Hippychic[/img][/quote]

·
Registered
116 Posts
I believe that the Cabana actually zips up to be a cover and enclose the tailgate and top. Unzipped it drops to the ground. Zipped it is tight to the tailgate.

·
Registered
608 Posts
jens is right on with the cabanna. I hope to get a nice warm sunny day in NYC to be able to put it up and take pics for everyone to see.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I made the dealership by my house show me the cabana - its pretty cool. It actually is for changing, etc - great for tailgating! It would be bad in heavy rain or wind, but cool anyway! :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Fiance and I have the cabana and we love it. We haven't gotten a chance to take it out, but we've set it up at family functions and enjoyed the extra shade and roominess.

It does zip under the tailgate and it has a screen window that you can look out. We're driving cross country for our honey moon and will use the cabana as a bug deterrent if it's raining and we choose to sleep in the car in stead of in our ordinary tent.

When I found out that the cabana didn't extend the floor of the car at all, I was a little disappointed, but now I love the option for more shade (my fiance is VERY pale) and the added space of the tailgate seems like plenty to extend the cabin comfortably. I couldn't imagine not having it.

Also, the assembly time is QUICK! It takes about the same time to flip the seats up as it does to set up the cabana. It's an insta-party in my car!

My 3 year old cousin thinks my E is a playground!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the Cabana, and I plan to treat the fabric with a waterproofing product that is also used for tent floors. I would have to imagine that if it adheres to the fabric, it should work fine. Still, I will be toting along my regular tent the next time I do some wet camping -- in case my theory is wrong.

I'll post back once I put this theory to the test. Since it rains almost every day here in the NY/NJ area this year, I'm sure that won't be long.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wife and I have purchased and used the tailgate cabana. It is made to zip up to completely enclose the tailgate. Its not super tight fitting, it won't keep all bugs out but does a decent job.

We actually returned the cabana to the dealership. After only using it a couple of times the wheel well clip is detaching from the tent shell. The cabana looks to be REALLY poorly constructed unfortunately. The dealership is ordering us a new one. I have no illusions of it being any higher quality. I will probably start repairing them instead of returning them.

It’s too bad, it is a great product, exceptionally easy to set up. It creates a good private space when combined w/the privacy screens. Maybe given the anticipated sales demand they couldn’t make a durable/quality product without making it prohibitively expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts