Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a way or a product that protects the open tailgate when loading stuff? I tried carpet and double stick tape,but it does not hold. I'm afraid to use something stronger to hold it down because I worry about permantley damaging the plastic. jd

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just image it is exactly like a heavy duty tailgate on a pickup truck, is designed to take on all the beating of moving stuff in & out, & scratches from dogs claws, then you will feel better. ;-)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Second Owner....

My Element is the only vehicle that I have not purchased brand new since 1979. It was not by choice... but, I really liked the 2008 SC, in Root Beer alot.... Plus, my dealer could not find me a 5-Speed SC anywhere.

The point is, I was always worried / concerned about the scratches to the plastic parts also. This time, however, it already has the first few scratches. So, it is no longer "perfect" and I don't have to worry about "damaging" it. That doesn't mean that I will abuse the surface... But, I don't have to "worry" about it either....

Enjoy the ride....

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Just take off the panels and paint them with some adhesion promotor then truck bed coating.

Im just kidding, use carpet held down with velcro, works for me.

·
Banned
51 Posts
I actually went out and purchased several moving pads, because well I was moving something that I didn't want banged up, and it turns out the small one fit the back tailgate area perfectly.

I now just keep it in the vehicle and lay it in place as needed. The company will for a dollar each add grommets at any location you specify. You could have two added in the corners and take something like nylon rop(thin) and tie/clip to the two back most tie down locations in the back of the E.

Link to the company:

http://moverssupplies.com/MOVING-BLANKET/Quilted-Cotton-Pad-Mini/

Mark

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I just figured i'll replace it if I sell the car or it annoys me too much. For now... scratch away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The tail gate plastic might be $40 but the tail gate flap that moved with the tail gate is $70. So in the end it is over $100 for those.
Just don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The E is made to be used......use it and don't worry about.....you'll feel better in the end!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Would contact cement melt the plastic? I have been thinking about attaching that super low pile interior carpet on the tailgate plastic and the little spring loaded bridge in the back. Hoping that it would give the gate a new look, and another life for the plastic before replacing it.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
If you are still concerned, a loose piece of indoor outdoor carpet with integral foam backing should do the job. Home Depot sells entrance mats with that construction.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts