Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Mine tends to have issues also -- but if I close it with a good SLAM its always good to go. I wish I didn't have to, but I just apply a little more force than I normally would ... but a lot less than I would have used on my Dads old suburban, which required (and could handle) an all out SLAM every time. It doesn't bother me much.

· Registered
425 Posts
On the side of the rear doors, their is a blk cone shape rubber thingy. Maybe if you turn it to a lower setting, you can shut the back hatch better?

I am basing my theory on the trunk idea. When i was driving on the highway, my hood was going up and down and someone on this site told me about the blk rubber cone shape thingy. I just turned the cone down a little bit and walla! My hood dosen't move :D

I hope this helps.

· Registered
57 Posts
[quote:d6b6a51e50="Slowhand"][quote:d6b6a51e50="Element"]the blk rubber cone shape thingy. [/quote:d6b6a51e50]

Could you use regular English instead of such technical terms?
[/quote:d6b6a51e50]

OMG, and I thought I was a tech writer.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I have tried to retract the black rubber stoppers into the hatch, so they don't stick out as much, but that didn't help much if at all. I notice that it takes 2 or 3 tries, the 3rd try it's easy as pie and closes with regular force. I can slam the h3ll out of it on the first try and 90% of the time it won't close all the way. It latches, but not all the way it sticks out some. I think the rubber surround is too thick, or not cushy enough. What's happening is the first try deflates that rubber some (smashes some air out) so that the 2nd or 3rd try it can actually latch all the way. It's really annoying, I'm used to Honda doors (Civic was last car) where you can just tap it closed without worrying. I didn't buy a Ford. At the same time I'm not willing to modify the rubber surround, I might just make it worse or be letting water in. When I go in for my first oil change I'm going to ask them about it. I'm leery of dealers doing work like this though, they could jack it up just as well as I can. :( Aside from that, LOVE my E!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.