Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I JUST had belt replaced this morning, at a local shop and NOT at Honda. Cost me 99 dollars instead of several hundred. Woho!

But, while I was there they noticed that the tailpipe is falling off. Like, hit's the ground when you go over a small bump FALLING OFF. But it doesn't seem to be broken.

Is the tailpipe something that can be replaced easily? Or is there a way to reattach it? Something?
I don't know, I never go behind my car while it's going down the road, so I have no idea how long it's been this way, or what the effects are on my Elie.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Depends on your states inspection requirements, but if you could take a photo from a few angles, we might be able to tell you exactly what you need. As long as its just the end piece of pipe cutting it all the way off, is not a big deal. It wont look as good and the exhaust gasses could become trapped under the car and find their way inside to you at idle.. Ok thats not too good. There are many options you can go from cheap to high dollar performance here. Post some photos.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Pipe Tale

Well there are many areas where your exhaust can fail. There are several joints including a flex joint near the catalytic convertor. If its the original exhaust on your '03 then it it could be time for a new one. Depending on where you live will also affect how easy it is to repair it. In the NE with salt and snow and winters getting exhaust bolt off usually means cutting or grinding them. There are after market "sportier" exhausts available that are easy to bolt on (again getting the old one off is the pain) It doesn't sound like you want to delve into this sort of repair yourself. Take it to a local mechanic or perhaps a chain muffler shop to check it out, they can most likely repair the particular component that has failed. I'm sure a Honda dealer will happily recommend you get a complete new exhaust system $$!

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
If it's just the tailpipe (#7 in the photo above) then you're fine, mine was rusted and broke loose at the connection when I was rear ended by two cars. It doesn't do anything but direct the exhaust flow out the back. I haven't replaced it and it just angles down at the road right now. It should be fine unless you need an inspection and they are anal about it. Just take it off.

PS - I would imagine if it was any other part of the exhaust then you would have a VERY loud car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

I'm taking it to my dads tonight to see it more closely. Not allowed to work on cars in my apartment complex!
I'll snap some pictures.

He will probably make me a whole new tail pipe from JB Weld. lol. In my old car the mounting bracket for the alternator was almost entirely JB Weld. Wonderful stuff.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
tailpipe is falling off ... But it doesn't seem to be broken.
Do you mean that the tailpipe is firmly attached to the muffler? And there is no exhaust noise? If that's the case, then the problem could be as simple as replacing a couple of inexpensive rubber hangers (#4 and #5 in illustration below). But don't wait, since a dangling exhaust will break somewhere eventually.

#4: "Rubber, ex. mounting," Honda p/n 18215-S5D-A01 (3 needed)
#5: "Rubber, ex. mounting, p/n 18215-SCV-A00 (1)

Both parts are dirt cheap. Click on the image for more info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I appreciate all the assistance.The tail pipe was off the muffler. The pipe is in good condition but the connection and bolts were rusted out. I will probably just have it welded back on.

Now for another issue:
Going down the bi-pass yesterday about 55mph my car started ... Jumping.. Is the only way I can describe it.
Took it to a local mechanic and they say it's likely the oil pressure switch, I tend to believe them as I was in the car while it was driven around and saw that the pressure switch stayed on after reaching 3000rpm.

Trying an oil change and fuel system cleaning. They estimated between 3-5 hundred to fix the switch, does that sound right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts