Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to hear from any of you with direct experience with Pep Boys. Internet checking has yielded many positive and many negative comments, so it's hard to draw a conclusion. Right now I need tires for unaggressive, general purpose road driving. Pep Boys pricing is very attractive, but I know nothing of their house brand tires-- Cornell, Futura, and Definity. If anyone here has experience with them, and/or with Pep Boys service in general, I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've bought tires from them for a while, I always buy the most expensive stuff of course, but I can still walk out of there with a full set for less than $600 most times. They also give you the money back i na rebate for one tire most of the time, so that's also nice. Also, the full coverage they give you for free is excellent, they have covered complete blowouts, and replace everything or repair if something happens. Definitly way better than costco or the dealership for tires. The people at my local Pep Boys are pretty nice, and tend to your needs, and they usually treat your car like it's made out out of gold or semtex or something, no one touches it without wearing plastic over whatever they are going to touch it with, and they usually finish the tires within an hour of you bringing it in, regardless of the line or wait.

I am currently running Definity's, and I'd say they are the best set of tires I've owned. The ride is smooth, and I don't loose traction at stop-signs in the rain anymore. They also respond a little more sporty than the other ones I've owned. So, if you go for the Definity's, I'll say that would probably be a good choice.

They're fairly rounded out and geared more towards an all-weather style, and definitly act as such while still retaining an economy/sport feel. Futura I have also rode with, and I think they're made by the same company, but they definitly did not make me as happy as the Definitys. No idea about Cornell.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, serj! Your advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Pep Boys Quality Mechanics

After you get released from prison and while you are on probation for possession of meth or crack you tell your probation officer hey I took auto mechanics in high school. He goes great and gets you a job as a mechanic at Pep Boys.

Had a coworker who made the mistake of using Manny, Mo and Jack for tires and an oil change. She turned on to the main road and two of her tires passed her she pulled over and noticed a trail of oil behind her car.

Lug nuts for two of the wheels were still in mechanics tool box and he just put on the first oil filter he came to. Manny, Mo and Jack drug tested this fool and he pooped positive for meth. He violated his probation and is now back in jail working on county vehicles to include police cars.

Buy your Mobil 1 and parts from Pep Boys. Do not get your car serviced there. Any decent mechanic can find a job at a better place.

Off brand tires are usually the tires that don't meet the quality standards for
the major brand ie Goodyear, Firestone, Bridgestone, Michelin etc. As a result they become second tier products.

Fred

Fred

·
Registered
557 Posts
hahaha. Although the result is bad, I've never heard of a mechanic that did something like that. That's incredible, even for a generic auto repair shop. Chaning tires is pretty straight-forward, you'd have to be a real meth-head to screw it up.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Yeah, Dave makes a really good point about "house brand" tires - if something goes seriously wrong - think along the lines of the Goodyear/Ford Explorer disaster - you just drop the meaningless brand name and invent another. "We no longer sell that tire." Problem solved. :|

This is versus, say, the custom-run tires sold by Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and Costco - they still say "Michelin" or "Continental" or other major brand name. Even if not the makers' top, top quality, their reputation remains on the line, so you're not going to get trash.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Off brand tires are usually the tires that don't meet the quality standards for the major brand ie Goodyear, Firestone, Bridgestone, Michelin etc. As a result they become second tier products.
How so? I'm not 100% familiar with the tire making process but, I'm pretty sure if the tire says Michelin on the side wall, it's not an easy process to make it say Pep Boys. So it's not like it's a reject from a particular brand.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How so? I'm not 100% familiar with the tire making process but, I'm pretty sure if the tire says Michelin on the side wall, it's not an easy process to make it say Pep Boys. So it's not like it's a reject from a particular brand.
I guess what he means is that if they have a reject from the line at, say.... Michelin, they pull the tire, strip off the tread, detach the sidewall from the core, then recast the core in a new mold that says "Harry's Tire Co", and ship it off to him. Yeah, that's it, that must be what they do. :rolleyes:

House brand tires are just custom runs, often made to the vendor's specs, which may be different from the manufacturer's name brand specs. When I asked my question, I simply didn't know who made Pep Boy's tires. The consensus here and elsewhere seems to be Cooper.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would stay away from the Pep Boys in the Raleigh area... too much inbreeding amongst the employees.

If you need tires, order them off of Tire Rack and have them drop shipped and installed at Phantasm. The price works out pretty well.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would stay away from the Pep Boys in the Raleigh area... too much inbreeding amongst the employees.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that, but thanks for your input! :D

In any event, too late. I bought a set from PB this AM. Seems fine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My buddy works in the local Pep Boys shop on the weekends because they pay for his continuing ed classes for his ASC certification, and he tells me to only buy supplies there. Most chains are pretty bad unless you know the person, don't get me started on the Wal-mart oil change stories.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
I have no experience with their house brand tires, but I've had alignments done by our local PepBoys and am well-satisfied with their work.

I'd be wary of tarring all the PepBoys shops with the same brush; they probably vary as much as Honda dealers' service departments. You should ask people in your local area about the service from your particular shop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts