Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, thought I'd share my Audio upgrades/build with you all.
Started collecting gear, and will be doing the major work soon.

Here are some pix's of the goodies that are going in, will update this thread as I progess. (or re-do it as the case may be :roll: )

Enjoy.

Head unit Pioneer 4400-BH with XM upgrade
919.jpg
Wiring, and Steering wheel control adapter AXXESS unit
921.jpg
Sound deadening (will also be adding MPV)
920.jpg
Big Three Upgrade
015.jpg
Rear Camera
016.jpg
Sub Amp
017.jpg

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Tandemduo's Audio Upgrade

Door speaker Amp
018.jpg
Front and rear door speakers JBL MS-62C's
019.jpg
Replacement for stock sub JL Audio 6W3V3 4ohm 6.5
020.jpg
Amp wiring
021.jpg
Speaker cables
022.jpg

To be continued.....:grin:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would love to hear this..I would have sprung for the 6w7? Not sure they even make one..I have a 10w6 new in the box I have been wanting to sell..dont think i will ever use it..I load my bikes up way to often to have a box back there...

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
They jump up to the 8W3V from there, they used to make the 6.5 in 2 ohm. The 6W3 is the only one in 6.5 anymore. I wanted a more or less drop in replacement for the stock sub.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get too it!
Hahha......:lol:

I know I know, I'm waiting for a few more pieces (speaker spacer rings, missing patch cord, etc.) to show up. I took an extra day off this week from work to devote to the install, but you'll have you'll have to wait until the weekend. Trust me, its driving me (and my wife, watching me go crazy) crazy not tearing into it.:twisted:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Let me know if the rear camera fits. I was thinking of getting a license plate back up camera, but noticed that there's not much room above the top plate bolts. Looks like if the camera is not even with the bolts, it may not fit plus, it may block the license plate lights. If the one you purchased fits, then the one I'm interested in should be not problem.:)

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me know if the rear camera fits. I was thinking of getting a license plate back up camera, but noticed that there's not much room above the top plate bolts. Looks like if the camera is not even with the bolts, it may not fit plus, it may block the license plate lights. If the one you purchased fits, then the one I'm interested in should be not problem.:)
I did a test fit, looks like it will be close, but should fit ok. Its sloped enough to not block much of the license lights. I will get some pics this weekend.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can have the Audio... I just want the shop space!
I hear you, I'm lucky to have a 2 car garage/shop area/man cave that we don't park cars in, just toys. 8)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
any chance you can do your install without the sub, or at least with the stock sub and then try the aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
any chance you can do your install without the sub, or at least with the stock sub and then try the aftermarket?
Well my deck has a Sub "on-off" setting so I can play with that to help you out. The stock sub is a dual voice coil if I recall, and I'm not sure how that would work with an aftermarket amp.

and since it is an SC, pulling the center console is a PITA to remove the sub. :roll:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
there's been discussion on whether or not 4 amped 6 1/2's would make a 6 1/2 inch sub useless, and also about the stock sub box just not being big enough for a drop in to make a difference. just lookin for more opinions. you gonna modify the stock box at all?

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
there's been discussion on whether or not 4 amped 6 1/2's would make a 6 1/2 inch sub useless, and also about the stock sub box just not being big enough for a drop in to make a difference. just lookin for more opinions. you gonna modify the stock box at all?
I read in one of the posts that Ayf had calculated the stock enclosure at 0.33 cu ft, JL's website says that the 6.5 needs 0.15 (sealed).

I'm going to seal up the factory port, dynamat the outside, and use "stuffing" on the inside too.

I have 2 Hollywood Soundlabs 10" excursion subs from my old Toyota pick-up that I may use in a smaller sealed box if the JL doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I read in one of the posts that Ayf had calculated the stock enclosure at 0.33 cu ft, JL's website says that the 6.5 needs 0.15 (sealed).

I'm going to seal up the factory port, dynamat the outside, and use "stuffing" on the inside too.

I have 2 Hollywood Soundlabs 10" excursion subs from my old Toyota pick-up that I may use in a smaller sealed box if the JL doesn't cut it.
NO, NO, NO! My 8" subwoofer required a 0.33 cu.ft. enclosure and that if I use the space in the front center console, I would meet that requirement. The stock enclosure is not that big. Do a trial, install the JL in the enclosure, hook it up and play it at a low level. If it plays ok, slowly turn the volume up. If its still ok, DynaMat it and install a little Polyfil. If, on the other hand, you see the woofer cone going "berserk", the enclosure needs a bigger vent. (If the enclosure is too small, there is no where for the "sound" waves to go. They will go straigtht back into the back of the woofer cone, which will distort the bass and could damage your speaker.) Looking at the JL, I'm pretty sure you're going to have to "open up" the enclosure.:)

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Ayf for the correction!!

I will follow your advice, and experiment with that. I can use the wife's system in her accord to test it, she has a single 12" in the trunk with the same RMS as the amp I will be using. I will use the leads off of it to play the 6" to dial in the sound.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally started

Well been at it since 5am.
Got the big three done, took only 4 1/2 hours :evil:! I'm pretty sure they build the Element around the alternator. Man, glad that's out if the way.

Anyways been tearing the interior out for sound proofing and cabling.
I will post some pics tonight.

TBC.

1 - 20 of 235 Posts