Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 847 Posts

· Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Once upon a time, I had considered a teardrop trailer but eventually dismissed the notion (having never actually been in one). In the past few months, as I contemplate another cross-country trip, I've been reconsidering the teardrop option. I'm now very seriously considering pulling the trigger on a Little Guy "6-wide platform." It's 6-feet wide inside, longer fender-to-fender. 12'4" long, including the tongue.

Drove 100 painfully slow miles on I-95 today to get to one of only two Virginia dealers (Maryland has no dealers so the pickings are slim).

Spent considerable time in the model I'm looking at (not an inconsiderable task since it was sitting in the sun and the heat index today is 105 degrees!).

This model weighs 980 pounds. They have 5-wides and 4-wides but those aren't wide enough for my comfort. With the cabinetry in there, many people would surely feel it's clautstrophobic. But it's two feet wider than the Element's interior.

I'm thinking it would be nice if the trailer were painted to match the Element, with some other decorative accent -- such as dog paw decals.

:wink:

Would welcome anyone's insights into this or other teardrops. I'm not 100% on doing this, but seriously thinking about it. Box4Rox is kindly providing guidance based on his experience with that beautiful "So California" trailer he had built.

Meanwhile, here's some pics of what I looked at today. As you can see, it's a bit grimy.

Attachments

· Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,900 Posts
IMHO, it looks really tiny.
I need to consider two people inside a trailer (even if only to sleep), but, I think a pop-up would be more useable (even for one). They make those in pretty small sizes, so towing would not be a problem with the E. They have most of what you need inside - stove, fridge, toilets (depending on model), so, it works well.
Another option is a different kind of pop-up - it doesn't fold out with beds, the middle pops up into a triangle, creating walking (and sleeping) space in the middle, but still present a low profile while towing. There are many brands out there, so a search is needed to fit what you're looking for.
Good luck!

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Awesome trailer!!! Have you looked on any of the tear drop trailer forums? There are some really great ones with people as nuts about them as E people. http://www.teardrops.net/ This is one of my favorites:D. Good luck. hope it works for you. Drew:)

· Registered
546 Posts
I saw one of those A-frame pop ups in use in the parking lot of a travel plaza last week. It piqued my curiosity. I am not ready to make the leap to camping without a tent though. But when I do I will look into both a teardrop and one of those.

The teardrop seems to me a natural match for an E owner. Quirky looking but extremely functional. And not too mention modifiable for your specific needs.

HC,
Have you consider seeing if someone will rent them for a weekend or so? That would be something I would want to do before committing to it.

· Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
BXG -- I'm unaware of anyone renting teardrops. It's hard to even find anyone who sells them! There aren't many manufacturers in the United States. Most, it seems, are home-made.
I would plan on keeping my REI "4-person" (suitable for two, of course) tent packed in the trailer. On a warm evening or because of some particularly great campsite, I can see the tent being preferable on occasion.

Box-E
-- thanks for that link. Yes, I've been lurking around (http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/) but have not been on that forum you linked and will do so this evening. Thanks!

Lizzurd
-- I've looked quite a bit at those Aliners. Like that they are hard-sided and the ones with lots of windows have a somewhat spacious feel (but not near as much as the canvas pop-ups with the extended ends. Have been fortunate to have Aliner owners at campgrounds give me a tour. They're all happy with theirs. I really haven't looked at them lately but now that you mention it, I'm going to peruse their web page. They're located in Pennsylvania so not far from here.

Alaskan Toaster -- the 6-footer (wide, the interior floorspace is 82" long) is considerably more spacious than sleeping in the Element. I'm back-and-forth on it precisely because of the $$$ per square foot factor. And the upkeep. It'd be another thing to be maintained (including insurance and storage). You raise many good points: fridge, stove, toilet. I'm mulling all that. The maintenance factor weighs against those amenities for me. I really don't want to deal with emptying and cleaning and maintaining a trailer toilet. Ick. And every campground I've ever been to has toilet facilities. Pit toilets are tolerable if a campground is that primitive. Cabelas has a really nice and reasonably priced portable shower setup that I'd probably invest in for a cross-country. I'm fine with the portable Coleman or Brinkmann campstoves -- usually on the provided campsite picnic table. Fridge would be nice if one were miles from ice, that's for sure. So much to consider.

Do I want to pull any trailer? Dunno, have never done it.

The big draw is having the storm-worthy sleeping space ready to go 24/7. Wouldn't have to off-load the Element. When I travel alone, it'd be much safer to be in a locked teardrop than a nylon tent. More comfy than the Element (I could even sleep sideways in this 6'-wide teardrop) and probably more comfortable, for me, than a tent. And if it were painted to match the Element, it would look cool.

RocketDog -- check out this "Rocket" teardrop. Are you honing in on a particular teardrop manufacturer? Or are you planning on making your own?

The ingenuity and initiative of these peops who build their own teardrops is something to behold. It's just such a great spirit.

Not exclusive to the USA, of course, but so American. :)

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=22035

Here's the "Hall of Fame" gallery of teardrops on a very informative forum.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/halloffame.php

Here are more pics, showing some build detail. Seems solidly constructed, with steel framing and 3/4" plywood walls.

The pic of the trailer with the super-long platform is the 6-wide "Sport" model, designed to carry ATVs. Pretty neat concept, but I don't need that accommodation and would not want to pull the added weight or deal with the added length.

:)

Attachments

· Registered
1,334 Posts
Tear drop website.

My Neighbor is building a Tear drop and has me thinking I could that (definitely, better than him). Here is a website he was inspired by, it appears to have 2,500 tear drops. Check it out. <www.mikwnchell.com>

· Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If anyone knows how to photoshop, I'd sure appreciate seeing an approximation of how this trailer would look if it were painted to match my Element (Galapagos Green).

I'm not having any luck with the software on this computer.

I problem-solved and saw my reflection in the screen.

:neutral:

· Registered
3,947 Posts
Have you checked out [email protected] trailers yet?

Like a tall teardrop. Kitchen in the back under the hatch. I've seen them in person and they look like a quality product. They are a bit heavy....about 1600lbs (about 150lb tounge weight).

Here's one at 146mph....

:shock:

Here are some more realistic images:

Good luck w/ yer search.

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Yep the [email protected] is a real nice trailer, a little pricey but well built. I have been trying to talk the wife into 1:razz: they have 1 that would look great behind her Ody. Drew:)

· Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you checked out [email protected] trailers yet?

Like a tall teardrop. Kitchen in the back under the hatch. I've seen them in person and they look like a quality product. They are a bit heavy....about 1600lbs (about 150lb tounge weight).

Here's one at 146mph....

:shock:

Good luck w/ yer search.
Thanks!

146 mph. :p That is a trailer criteria I had not scrutinized.

Was grateful for those few miles today where I could exceed 50 mph.

Yes, I have looked at the [email protected] Even had one camping next to us in Maine a couple years ago and the owner graciously allowed me to look at it. Very, very nice. But way more $$$ and the weight would concern me.

There are some entertaining [email protected] videos on You Tube.

I've got the slick [email protected] brochures. They have an even bigger trailer now which would be fun -- especially in the bold color schemes they offer -- behind a full-size truck or SUV.

· Registered
1,126 Posts
HC; I built a larger version of a teardrop that I now tow with the E (short distances). It was built for my 1500 Ram I traded in for the second E. You can see it in the pictures from the Camp Va. Beach thread.

I will be looking at building or buying a real small teardrop like the one you looked at. Where is this place in Va. at???

You won't go wrong with a Teardrop either, I am a member of the TTT forum also, you can see more build photos of mine on there too.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

Bob

Good luck...:)

· Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
HC; I built a larger version of a teardrop that I now tow with the E (short distances). It was built for my 1500 Ram I traded in for the second E. You can see it in the pictures from the Camp Va. Beach thread.

I will be looking at building or buying a real small teardrop like the one you looked at. Where is this place in Va. at???

You won't go wrong with a Teardrop either, I am a member of the TTT forum also, you can see more build photos of mine on there too.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

Bob

Good luck...:)
Thanks, Spotman.

There are two dealerships in Virginia: Fredericksburg and Warsaw (I'm wondering if I was given wrong info on that Warsaw location -- looks like an out of the way town and not far from F-burg so it doesn't make sense).

The Little Guy teardrops are just a side business to the Fredericksburg dealer's used car dealership.

Coincidentally, an '03 GGM Element is for sale there, too. They said they could take it to the paint shop so they could match the trailer to it.

Couldn't a reputable painter just consult the Honda paint code?

Would there be a GGM paint code?

Now I've got to start looking for a good auto painter in the DC area -- preferably northern Virginia.

:confused:

· Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spotman -- this dealer in Newport News just popped up when I looked for the manufacturer's address in Canton, Ohio:

Little Guy Teardrop Camper Trailer Sales

Address:Unverified listing -
Write a review - - more info »Placement on map is approximate
12001 Jefferson Ave
Newport News, VA 23606

Get Directions

(757) 283-2277

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread, Spotman I didn't realize that was your trailer I'm over on that site a lot too and never put 2 and 2 together. Real nice trailer:D Drew:)

· EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,993 Posts
Would there be a GGM paint code?

Now I've got to start looking for a good auto painter in the DC area -- preferably northern Virginia.

:confused:

Exterior Paint Colors

"SOP," "GGM," etc. Here's what they stand for - paint codes.

Available Model Years
Initials Name Paint Code 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007
ABM Atomic Blue1 Metallic B537M
ASM Alabaster Silver Metallic NH700M
CK Cargo Khaki YR547M
EBP Eternal Blue Pearl B-96P
FBP Fiji Blue Pearl B529P
GGM Galapagos Green Metallic G511M
GGyM Galaxy Gray Metallic NH701M
KM Kiwi Metallic GY25M
MM Magnesium Metallic NH675M
NBP Nighthawk Black Pearl B92P
RBM Root Beer Metallic2 YR569M
RR Rallye Red R513
SMM Shoreline Mist Metallic YR528M
SOP Sunset Orange Pearl YR539P
SSM Satin Silver Metallic NH623M
TMM Tangerine Mist Metallic YR5863M
TRP Tango Red Pearl R525P

1aka Neutron Blue, Proton Blue
2SC only

Thought you might find this helpful.
regards,
jurn

· Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Exterior Paint Colors

"SOP," "GGM," etc. Here's what they stand for - paint codes.

Available Model Years
Initials Name Paint Code 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007
ABM Atomic Blue1 Metallic B537M
ASM Alabaster Silver Metallic NH700M
CK Cargo Khaki YR547M
EBP Eternal Blue Pearl B-96P
FBP Fiji Blue Pearl B529P
GGM Galapagos Green Metallic G511M
GGyM Galaxy Gray Metallic NH701M
KM Kiwi Metallic GY25M
MM Magnesium Metallic NH675M
NBP Nighthawk Black Pearl B92P
RBM Root Beer Metallic2 YR569M
RR Rallye Red R513
SMM Shoreline Mist Metallic YR528M
SOP Sunset Orange Pearl YR539P
SSM Satin Silver Metallic NH623M
TMM Tangerine Mist Metallic YR5863M
TRP Tango Red Pearl R525P

1aka Neutron Blue, Proton Blue
2SC only

Thought you might find this helpful.
regards,
jurn
Thanks, Jurn, that could be very helpful!

:)

1 - 20 of 847 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.