Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Element with low miles, in great condition. I'm considering purchasing a teardrop trailer. Does anyone have suggestions for a low weight trailer (1000 lbs or less) that can easily be towed over mountains without distressing the transmission/motor. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to mention that I just towed a 420lb trailer with a 650lb motorcycle and 2 spare tires and other gear (50lbs) behind my 2005 Element AT from New England to Florida and back. 3000 miles total.I did carry about 200lbs of gear inside plus me and my 50lb dog... It pulled the weight very well, but would not recommend using cruise control. It will downshift at every hill and without it, I could anticipate the hills and keep the RPM's around 3k. I did drive through the Smoky mountains on the way back and there was definitely downshifting on the roads there. I achieved about 20 mpg overall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to mention that I just towed a 420lb trailer with a 650lb motorcycle and 2 spare tires and other gear (50lbs) behind my 2005 Element AT from New England to Florida and back. 3000 miles total.I did carry about 200lbs of gear inside plus me and my 50lb dog... It pulled the weight very well, but would not recommend using cruise control. It will downshift at every hill and without it, I could anticipate the hills and keep the RPM's around 3k. I did drive through the Smoky mountains on the way back and there was definitely downshifting on the roads there. I achieved about 20 mpg overall.

Thank you, this is very encouraging.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,480 Posts
Not a teardrop, but towed a 1500# trailer from GA to AK (yes, ALASKA!) with no issues, just be smart about ups and downs as bctours mentioned. If you are going to tow on a regular basis, the lighter the trailer the better for longevity. There will ALWAYS be gear weight added to empty trailer weight. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts